Gathering Dust

/ Gathering Dust #1  

bill177

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2300
I bought a new GC2300 late in the summer and quickly put over 30 hours on it. Then came the rains - and more rain - and more rain.

It has now been three weeks since I have had the tractor out of the garage and off the pavement. I have to cross some of the lawn to get down in back.

I walked down to the garden and over to the barn yesterday. Had tall boots on. The ground sounds like a sponge when you walk. Gush gush gush! Even the tractor road to the woods is all soft and puddled.

At this point pontoons on outriggers sounds like a good idea.

Oh, did I mention that the forecast calls for a wet weekend.:mad:

/ Gathering Dust #2  
We're going through the same thing in the Pacific Northwest. I've got a small stream running through the meadow in front of the barn.

And then I read the article in the paper tonight that because of El Nino we're going to have a dryer then normal winter? Forcast for the next 10 days is rain for every day.

/ Gathering Dust #3  
Onthesauk said:
And then I read the article in the paper tonight that because of El Nino we're going to have a dryer then normal winter? Forcast for the next 10 days is rain for every day.

I thought rain every day was expected in the Pacific Northwest. (My son lives in Portland, OR.) Maybe what they mean is, instead of 1" per day, you'll only get 1/2".:D

/ Gathering Dust #4  
I just saw a photo on a news site of a coho swiming across the road out west. I am also living throught this rain in the east I really feel for the farmers arounf me I was talking to my neighbour and it is costing him more to take his corn and beans off and getting them dried than he'll get for them. As for the dust gathering on your tractor I do not think you have to worry about that, maybe mould but not dust;)

/ Gathering Dust #5  
Bill,
Wait a couple of weeks and all will be well. Your excess ground moisture will be nice and solid, you may have to put chains on to drive on it though.
Looks like a big storm may be headed your way later today. I live in Mid-Michigan and where I live we got about an inch of snow but further north they got a bit more.
Farwell

/ Gathering Dust #6  
Morning Bill.
Same condition over here in NH,was in the woods all day yesterday and there was standing water in places I never seen before....if we get a quick deep freeze there be ice everywhere....yikes.

/ Gathering Dust #7  
Onthesauk said:
We're going through the same thing in the Pacific Northwest. I've got a small stream running through the meadow in front of the barn.

Glad to hear you didn't suffer like some of the folks on the Sauk River.
It seems the mountains got a lot of snow but next week the snow level will go from 2500' to 6000' and more rain. Get ready for round 2.

My mom called from Dallas when she saw all the flooding on the news. She asked if i was doing ok and I told her "We live on an island, the creeks didn't even overflow".:rolleyes:

/ Gathering Dust #8  
Hi Bill177,
I'm between Rochester & Syracuse and am going through the same thing. While it's been wet I've pulled out 4 hemlock (?) trees that were growing too close to my Dad's house. The three biggest ones (about 7" or 8") came out by the roots, thanks to the sodden ground. The smallest one must've had a weak trunk as it broke off at ground level...maybe pulled too high up.

Got four more to do, but they're bigger and going to be tough to reach.

The R1s on the L4300 sure made a mess of the yard though. I'll have my work cut out for me next spring....more seat time on the B7610 :)
Bob

/ Gathering Dust #9  
El Nino' will start kicking in later, around Christmas time. Prior to that, what we're seeing is pretty much what usually precedes an El Nino' event.

It's a little deceptive since you get to thinking the winter is going to be a real beast, then it just doesn't materialize. I just hope the weather guys are right since I need new Blizzaks for the car, but decided to pass on them for this year based on the presumption that we won't see much use for snow tires this year.

/ Gathering Dust #10  
daTeacha said:
El Nino' will start kicking in later, around Christmas time. Prior to that, what we're seeing is pretty much what usually precedes an El Nino' event.

It's a little deceptive since you get to thinking the winter is going to be a real beast, then it just doesn't materialize. I just hope the weather guys are right since I need new Blizzaks for the car, but decided to pass on them for this year based on the presumption that we won't see much use for snow tires this year.
You might want to go to AccuWeather.com and check out the winter forecast video. It explains the differents kinds of El Nino' and what that means for this winter. AccuWeather.com Homepage Click on the weather videos section on the left side of the page.:cool: