Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #21  
MChalkley
But can it pull a bat wing mower?
I do a lot of the stuff mentioned in thread however there's light at the end of the tunnel. Someday I'll just mow, plow snow, and deal w/ firewood. If the rental company ever has an EF on the lot, guarantee I'll find a project for it. In my opinion the 2 tractors already owned will last the rest of the time I'll need 'em/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
regards
Mutt

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #22  
After reading this thread it is quite clear, everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks what they have is the best. But what is also clear is that what it takes to complete the task can be done by many different tractor models and still do it the best. What I finf interesting is that for the last couple of years that I have been reading this site, you have been professing the beneifits of the kubota tractor, now that you brought some thing else that no one heard of, you are wondering why everyone does not switch to your new model. The answer would be worth millions to each maker of tractor, why don't everyone switch to my tractor. Remember that just because you found a piece of equipment that you like, that does not mean we have to agree or jump to buy what you have. Tell us about you trator but don't tell us how we are wrong or closs minded if we don't agree. MHO

Dan L

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #23  
Dan, I don’t think MarkC is trying to convert everyone to the Earth Force as much as point out that there are other options. I know that when I bought my first tractor I had no idea how many different configurations were available. I didn’t even know how many brands were available./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

For me, one of the valuable things about the forum is learning about different equipment from those that are using it rather than selling it. As a result, I am a much better informed consumer when I purchase a new attachment or tractor now. Shoot, many times I am better informed than those selling them./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkV

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #24  
If I didn't know any better, it sounds like MarkC is trying to justify the purchase of the EF - maybe even secretly yearning for the versatility of the CUT he gave up./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Kidding! kidding! kidding!
Seriously though, why did you start this thread, MarkC? I've checked out the EarthForce web site. They look like really slick machines. I bought my CUT to do the regular stuff that everyone else mentions plus some very small scale farm stuff. I can think of a number of tasks that really do need to be done around my place that would be easier with an EF:

Put in French drains around my 100 year old house,
Clear a spot for the slab for the new dog kennel,
Excavate for a new septic system,
Clear out the drainage ditches in the field.

But after these tasks are done - they're done. I think a CUT is better suited (for me and my property anyway) for property maintenance. The EF (once again IMHO) is better suited for property modification.

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #25  
Dan,
I agree with what you said. I don't think Mark is purposely trying to make us switch to one it's something we all do. If I go out and buy xyz product and it's different and either more or less money we justify why we did something like that to validate our decisions. A mini-tlb is no different than a compact tractor compared when you compare the big tlb's and tractors. A tlb is a nice unit to have no doubt about that. But for most people it's not really an option. Like was already pointed out you can't use one for farming. You don't have a numerous amount of choice with regard to implement dealers, they are few and far between and much more expensive. You are stuck with the backhoe and loader on all the time. It's not like quick connect stuff that you can have it or not in 5 minutes. Probably 95% or better of the people on here are much better off with what they have. Cheap implements, ease of use, lots of local dealers, and plenty of good information out there on how to use these. No doubt it's a great machine but I don't think it's time is here to replace or even really compete on much of a level with the compact tractor. For one they are just too heavy for most of the guys out there to even think about running over your lawns. Yes they make smaller ones but they are still going to be much heavier comparably to a compact. Plus how many guys here even have a backhoe. I would venture, guess, to say that less than 10 or 15% of the guys on here with tractors even have a backhoe or for that matter would use one. I do probably about as much as most people on here and I can count the times on two hands I've needed mine since I bought it. Invaluable when I need it, yes, but not something you want back there to drag around day after day to use less than 10 times in 8 months. Great product, great machine, alot of uses. I just don't think it's time has come to compare to a compact tractor for the users here.

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life
Dan - Clearly, I made some assumptions in my last post without even realizing I'd done so. The entire premise of my "Goodbye Kubota, Hello PowerTrac" and, subsequently, "Goodbye Kubota, Hello EarthForce" threads was based upon the knowledge and admission that I had been close-minded enough that it had prevented me from having a piece of equipment that would suit my needs far better because I hadn't really even looked.

Nobody but you can decide if you are or aren't open-minded, or even if you care whether you are or aren't. And I would never be so presumptuous as to think you should care whether I think you are or not. I certainly don't care whether you think I am. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif But I do care very much what I think of myself. It's called self-examination, not pride. I want to know I'm not stuck in a rut, not prejudiced for illogical reasons or no reason at all, not ignoring potential solutions because they aren't the way I've always done things or the way others do things.

As to switching sides, and advocating what I've got, what other choices are there? I'd be pretty dumb to have what I have because I don't like it, wouldn't I? Personally, if someone advocates A to me, and has only ever had A, I tend to put less credence in his endorsement than if he's owned A, B, and C, and wants to tell me how great C is. He's now in a position to know. Perhaps I also incorrectly assumed that everybody else views things from this perspective. (I also think this is embarking on a whole new discussion of what it means to be open-minded, too, but that's another story altogether.)

I've always considered myself pretty good at "thinking outside the box", as my engineer friend put it. So, I very much surprised myself by the degree to which I wasn't, in this case. I'm sorry if you took offense - my intent, as MarkV said, was to expose and educate, and to illustrate by my own example that we sometimes aren't as open-minded as we think we are. And that prevents us from learning.

Paul - I started this thread to get what's happening right now to happen. I wanted to hear what others do with their CUTs and what they think of mini-TLBs after really examining their capabilities. If nobody else buys one because of this thread, it doesn't matter to me. What matters is that the issues get explored, that we make the decisions we make with as many facts as possible available. If someone else had posted the message I posted to start this discussion (or perhaps my "Goodbye Kubota..." ones) two years ago, I'd have been way ahead of the game by now. Perhaps my experiences will benefit someone else in a similar fashion. Consider it a Public Service Announcement. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Fractal - I don't know too much about the second-hand mini-TLB market. I do know that the used ones I priced were almost as much as the new ones, so I guess that means it's pretty good.

As for implements, any implement that will fit on a skid steer will fit on the front end loader of an EarthForce. So, to answer your question: a bunch, and rapidly becoming more than are available for CUTs.

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #29  
I'm sorry if I sounded snide - that wasn't how I wanted to come accross. I have about as much experience with forum discussions as I do with operating a tractor (check my profile - it's not much).
A noble gesture, your Public Service Announcement. Just that some may take offence at the suggestion that until they read this thread they risk buying the wrong thing. I'm what some would calll an impulse buyer. I think of myself more as someone who sees a need and reacts to it. Even if it only took me a couple of weeks to reach my decision, it wasn't a hasty one. Believe me, I explored my options.

Mutt - No, I don't know of a bat-wing mower that's an option for a mini-TLB (skid steer). But it wouldn't surprise me to see one, because the best bush-hog I've ever seen is made for a skid steer. Plus, I'd a lot rather mow ahead of me that behind me so I can see better, and so I don't have to run over what I'm mowing with the tractor first.