Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #51  
Well Mark, you have stirred the pot no doubt. LMAO

But you can refer to my first post in this thread to my feelings on any tractor.

Something that hasn't been brought to the table on this thread is bobcats. After all all of the attachments your using are just that for bobcats. Another thing is a tracked model of tractor. Bobcat is making one now as well as posi trac. Very low footprint weight and also use the same attachments.

Now you say that you can't use a track model because of scuffing of a lawn. What do you think new rig is going to do to a wet lawn. So here is something that should be brought to the table tracked models. They have crab steering,,, Don't they? With the new style of tracks they can be run up and down the road as well.

Also how would the EF do on some muddy skid trails? Can it mount a skidding winch? Just curious,, u know thinking outside the box.

One last thing, about using a rotary cutter in front of you. after you spend a couple of 12 hr days with one in front of you let me know if you still like that concept. I've used them both ways now so I have my mind made up but I'm curious to see what your final decision is. Can say this the hydraulic gearbox is nice on a rotary cutter. I see expanded metal in your future./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bottom line is ----is it making me money? yup-----is it making me a profit??? yup

Don't get me wrong, but before I would rush out and buy an earth force I would take a good hard look at the tracked models of tractors as well. They are taking off in sales for good reason, their time has come. They fill a niche market just like the earth force does.

What are the base prices of the EF line?

have fun
Gordon

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #52  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I don't mow any grass - bushhogging, yes, mowing, no. That automatically makes my needs different from 75% or so of TBNers, I suspect. I don't do any plowing. Tilling, yes, plowing, no. That makes my needs different from some, too. Nevertheless, I'd contend I use my equipment for just as many different types of jobs as anybody, and the EarthForce machines are the most versatile there are for the subset of tasks I need to do.

<hr></blockquote>

A man after my own heart. Although I would state my situation as "I don't mow any grass with the tractor". 5000 sq ft of lawn on 3 sides of the house separated by gates and numerous trees with low hanging branches make using a tractor to mow my lawn a waste of time. 45 minutes with an old 5hp MTD mower gets the job done just fine. A couple of hours or so with a 4hp wheeled string trimmer does all the 'bush hogging' I need to and most of it is on slopes I wouldn't take the tractor. I also don't have to contend with snow. Those three make me, much like you, different from a vast majority of TBN'ers.

So, would a mini TLB have done the jobs I do just as well if not better?

You bet.

Why did I get a CUT instead of an earthforce or maybe a PowerTrack?

a. I didn't know about earthforce when I bought the tractor. Thank you for introducing them to me.

b. I doubt I could have got an earthforce with tiller and post hole digger for 9k.

I bought my tractor cheap and can turn around and sell it for what I paid for it. That is why I picked a CUT.

That plus an insatiable need to play with power tools :)

Cheers!

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life
Gordon - Having talked to you on the phone once, I can just hear you laughing now... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I don't know much about the tracked machines at all. But, if anyone else does, I'm listening. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif They don't have crab steer, though. Another thing I think makes them, and skid steers, less versatile is the inability to use a rear-mounted implement.

There are at least two hydraulic front-mounted skidding winches that would work on the EarthForce that I know of. As for performance on muddy trails, I can't say that I know for sure yet. But, it does have full time 4WD, positive traction differentials front and rear, and pretty good weight distribution, with something on the FEL. So it ought to do pretty well. It needs a tire upgrade, of course, but that didn't stop me from buying my Kubota, either.

My EF-5 would no doubt do some serious damage to a sloppy lawn, but so would my Kubota L4310. I've really been immpressed with the 4wd implementation on the EarthForce machines - it's almost as good as the PowerTrac machines. I can spin circles in a wet gravel driveway without tearing it up at all. My Kubota wouldn't do that. If anything, I expect an EarthForce machine would do much less damage to a lawn than a considerably lighter CUT, if the CUT is in 4wd.

I haven't done your requisite "couple of 12 hr days" with a front mounted bush hog on the EF-5, so I'll let you know. But I have used one on a skid steer, and an ASV track machine for about that long, though, and I liked it a lot better than the rear mounted one, at least for big stuff. For pastures, etc. I expect the rear mount would be just as nice, or maybe even better.

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #54  
Ah the track machine,, best of both worlds maybe? Time will tell as with alot of things. But I'm looking forward to see how well the EF does in the mud. Floatation//versus weight. But it all boils down to use and if it can be improved.

As I said in a previous post, the thing that I liked the least on mine was the strengh of the loader. Of course there is always the subject of traction as well. That is with any machine. You can have all the hp. in the world but if you don't have the traction to back it up it's useless.

With many things time will tell
Gordon

RonL - Thanks for your post. You made some good points.

And WELCOME to TBN! You decided to jump in at the deep end, didn't you? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #56  
Ok here is another option that if you have a compact that comes to mind.

A quick attach plate for the bucket. Ok there is some added weight. Then also a plate for the bucket as well right?

How much would the combined added weight be to the loader?? Now if you used some larger lift cylinders on the loader to compensate for the added weight. Presto your in the ballpark of alot of bobcat attachments as well. Cept you don't have the hydraulic output needed to run some of them

How does that sound Mark???
Gordon

Gordon - We kicked that weight issue around on one of the threads recently. I think the quick attach system would only add 100-150 lbs. of weight. Of course, that doesn't matter, if you've got an EarthForce /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif, but it's more of an issue with CUTs.

Your point is valid, though: With a quick-attach and hydraulic PTO on the CUT loader, all kinds of possibilities are opened up.

/ Tractors, Mini-TLBs, and Life #58  
My uses ...

- Mowing, mowing and more mowing (usually grass, sometimes corn when it doesn't produce and I get annoyed)
- Ripping - to prepare the garden
- Towing - my kids playset around the yard when my wife can't make her mind up where it should go after I have spent days making it in the originally selected spot
- Towing - my kids around the fields in the cart - mini "hayrides"!! (They love it)
- Moving mulch around using my 3pt scoop (poor mans FEL)
- Grading and plowing with a rear blade - depending on the season

In the future ...

- Tiller this spring - garden will be expanding
- Post hole digging - another spring project

Think that's about it ...

Patrick