Oil & Fuel Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
I'm considering buying a Cat skidsteer with around 80hp to run a brush mulching head on as part of a new landclearing business. Yesterday while talking to a Cat sales rep he cautioned me about using the Cat skidsteer mainly as a mulching tool. He claimed that the RPM's needed to run the head would wear the machine out prematurely if the machine was used day in and day out specifically with the mulching head. It was the first I've heard of this and know many guys who run the skidsteers with mulching heads. Now how many hours their machines run soley with the head I don't know. The rep mentioned some possible problems around 1,000 hours may develop?????

The odd thing is Cat sells a head for the skidsteer. Why would they do that or not have some cautions in their literature if it was/is a problem? Was the salesguy trying to sell me up to a dedicated machine or was their some substantial truth to what he was saying? Thanks for your input!!!!!!

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question #2  
I find that hard to believe. I don’t have a mulching head for my little 216 skid steer but I have run it hard and it has been a great machine to own. I have about 1200 hours on it most of which I have personally put on. That little skid steer has done so much work for me I don’t know what I would do without it. Last month at 1100 hours I had my first problem with it EVER which turned out to be a bad fuel solenoid on the injector pump. It runs strong and the controls are still as precise as when I bought it new.

I have the grouser over tire tracks and they work great. I would highly recommend them. They turn the SSL into a little tank that will go anywhere. I usually take them off in July and put them back on in October.

Eric

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question #3  
I find that hard to believe to. He didn't by chance then try to sell you something larger and more expensive did he? Don't forget salesman = commision pay = selling the most expensive thing the customer can afford.

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question
The salesman appeared to be a pretty straight shooter. But, yes he did mention they sell a dedicated mulching machine that cost about $80,000 more than the skid, or $160,000. Maybe he was trying to upsell me, but dadgum, I'm 49 and consider myself a pretty good judge of character and I just don't know what to think.

My knowledge about machinery such as diesels and the related hydraulics might fill a thimble. The only thing I do know, is for the $80,000 difference I could have a heck of a lot of engine repairs made on the skid steer. What's ya'lls opinions? Thanks!

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question #5  
Check around at a couple different Cat dealers and see if they give you the same answers.

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question #6  
Sales reps can be the worst souce of information possible. In many instances, they were fired from selling cars the day before--now they're an expert on Cat equipment.

You are NOT going to wear out a diesel engine prematurely by running it rated rpm.

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question #7  
You know, if the "RPMs need to run the mulcher" will prematurely kill that skid, then shy away from any of their stuff. Diesels were made to run at max. As a matter of fact the more load you put a diesel under the better it will run. Of course you need to do maintenance, oil changes, etc religiously, but I think I'd go back and ask the salesman if it will hurt a Cat to run the engine at the rated RPM. No matter what the answer is, you got him.....BobG in VA

/ Question for diesel engine guru's/skidsteer question
Thanks for the help guys!! I believe the heads optimum operating rpm's are in the range of 2100-2300. I'm inclined to believe operation of the head should not harm the engine or hydraulics either. It just doesn't add up what he said in my opinion.