Oil & Fuel Oil change

/ Oil change #1  

Jason_Amanda

i am wanting to change the oil in my Belarus tractor i was wondering what weight oil to use and maybe a brand we run rotella at work in our dump trucks and i run Castrol in my pickup....also where is the oil filter is on it....i have no idea of the hours on the tractor...it is a Belarus 250 As (air cooled diesel) and i live in Florida...thanks again

/ Oil change #2  
I am no expert (we can wait for them to show up and post).

My guess is
Florida=warm to hot.
Air cooled likes either synthetic or single weight oil.

How cold do you get and how hot?

My guess is 30w in "winter" and 40W in summer. Just my guessing.
Let's wait for the pros to show up.
Bob

/ Oil change #3  
I'd put a 5w40 synthetic in it. The synthetic will stand up better in an air cooled engine. You probably need the 40w at operating temperature, the 2nd value in the xxwxx equation. The 5wxx will help it to start in cooler weather but probably not critical in Florida. If you can't get 5w40, a 15w40 will do. Think lots of folks have been using a synthetic rotella in 15w40. I found some rotella synthetic 5w40 for my last oil change on my Benz diesel. If you can get a 5w40 in synthetic, as I did, it'll be better overall. A 5w is still heavier at start than the 40w is at operating temperature.

Ralph

/ Oil change #4  
15/40 is a great oil choice here in fl. For an air cooled engine...I think synthetic may be a good way to go.

To the original poster. looks like it is time to track down a service manual on that beastie..

Ya got the iron.. now ya need the paper to go with it..

Soundguy

/ Oil change #5  
Jason-
I used to have a Belarus 250A and I used Rotella T 15W40 in it, same as my other diesels. As I recall, the engine had a centrifugal oil cleaner that had to be washed out (with diesel fuel or some other solvent) when the oil was changed. It's been a while, but I think the cleaner was in a canister at the left front of the motor, down low. This is all from my faded memory :( , the manuals went with the tractor when I sold it. That 250A was one crude but tough old tractor.

/ Oil change #6  
Use a high quality 15W/40 dino oil or your prefered synthetic and you will be fine.

/ Oil change
thanks to all for the good information it is greatly appreciated