Ballast Washer Fluid for Ballast

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #1  

dknarnd

Gold Member
Tractor
JD1010, JD B, TC40A (new)
Are there any negatives to using washer fluid for ballast in the rear tires? My tire size (14.9 x 24) will allow for about 47 gallons per tire but I'm looking at only 25 gallons. That amount will add about another 200 lbs per tire giving me about 400 lbs total per side with my wheel weights added.

Anyway back to the washer fluid. From what I understand most of these fluids protect from freezing down to about -20F which is plenty for my location. We stay below freezing many days but don't stay below 0 more than a couple days at a time.

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #2  
There are two kinds of washer fluid. Some provide freezing protection and some don't. You SHOULDN"T see any of the wrong type up in PA this time of year, but you might find a retailer trying to sell some of the "Florida" version which has no anti-freeze qualities. The cheap stuff is available for usually under $1 per gallon and that is why. It is nothing more than super diluted Windex.

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #3  
Not sure if this is important to you, but you get no corrosion prevention with washer fluid.

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #4  
dknarnd said:
Are there any negatives to using washer fluid for ballast in the rear tires? My tire size (14.9 x 24) will allow for about 47 gallons per tire but I'm looking at only 25 gallons. That amount will add about another 200 lbs per tire giving me about 400 lbs total per side with my wheel weights added.

Anyway back to the washer fluid. From what I understand most of these fluids protect from freezing down to about -20F which is plenty for my location. We stay below freezing many days but don't stay below 0 more than a couple days at a time.

I put windshield washer solution in the tires on one of my tractors. I normally use Cal/Chlor mix. I bought a set of radial rear tires. They're tubeless. I didn't want cal/chlor with no tubes. My tires (16.9"X30") took almost 70 gallon each. Biggest problem was getting rid of all those gallon jugs! NAPA where I bought he WWS was able to get one 55-gallon drum and 85 1-gallon jugs (on short notice).

We have weather simular to what you described. No problems in 4 years.

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #5  
ovrszd said:
Not sure if this is important to you, but you get no corrosion prevention with washer fluid.

that's why i like tubes..

Soundguy

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #7  
I thought the washer fluid did provide corrosion resistance? I think I have water and antifreeze in mine. At least that's what it tastes like....but I've never tasted calcium chloride. The dealer put it in and the tires are tubeless. I sure hope he didn't put calcium chloride in them.

I can't see using tubes where I am. For some reason my B-I-L does and he's constantly patching tubes from locust punctures. I've yet to have a flat from a puncture.

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #8  
Thorns do make for a rough patch when using tubes, as you have to dismount. With a tubless.. you could just plug it.

Perhaps a boot would help to some extent.. though on a big thorn.. not much helps. I had one go thru a big beefy 10-16 front on my NH 7610s..it's like a car tire... and had a hole knocke din it no problem..

( cacl will taste salty.. AF will taste sweet)

Soundguy

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast #9  
Depends on how much weight you are looking for. The larger the tire, the less importance weight to volume is. Windshield washer fluid is approximately 8 pounds to the gallon. Rim Guard is the modern replacement for calcium chloride that is non corrosive and it weighs 10.715 pounds per gallon. The weight of calcium chloride will depend on what percentage you mix it at. It will have a detrimental effect on your rims over time. Both windshield washer fluid and calcium chloride can also be hazardous in concentration if they leaks on your lawn. From the Ohio EPA
Windshield wiper solution may contain methanol, detergent and water. Because of its hazardous nature, windshield wiper solution is required to have a child-proof safety cap. The most toxic windshield wiper solutions contain 100 percent methanol. Methanol is highly toxic and readily absorbed by inhalation or skin contact.
I would be concerned with the contamination of water wells if there was a major spill as a result of a tire failure. We are all responsible for our actions, and for the safety of the environment. The choice of what to use is yours.
Dusty

/ Washer Fluid for Ballast
The washer fluid my local tire shop gets in 55 gallon drums without a problem or they can do the cal/chlor without a problem but they have never used the Rim Guard. I would have a tube installed for whichever solution I choose.

Figured the washer fluid wasn't as corrosive as the cal/chlor.