Loader position when parked

/ Loader position when parked #21  
IowaX475 said:
I am looking at trading my X Series JD for a sub-compact. Since I don't have a lot of room in my garage right now, I was thinking of raising the loader all the way up and block the cylinders with angle iron. Bad idea? I really want move up in size but would this damage the cylinders if I do this. I would make sure that angle iron wouldn't be able to be moved unless by an adult (myself). I look forward to hearing from you all on what you think. My loader would be indoors year around in a heated garage. Thanks from Iowa.

Well, your solution can be implemented so it will hold the loader up. I would make a deal out of 2 pieces of angle that are either bolted together or hinged and pinned. Use 2 - 1 for each side. Using just a chunk of angle is asking for a garage repair bill or worse. Sooner or later, you will put it in sloppy and it will pop out with expensive results.

One thing to remember on this thread as a whole. Tractors are an attractive hazard. There is some legal phrase for it, but they are like a swimming pool. They attract unsupervised children and can easily harm them. That's why you have to fence your yard when you have a pool, so kids don't sneak in and drown. If you have a loader or 3pt implement up, and a kid sneaks in and plays with the tractor and someone is harmed -- You are gonna feel it both financially and emotionally for life. Every manual printed tells you to park the tractor with the loader and 3pt down. Failure to do it is negligent. If there are children in the area it's probably criminal negligence.
'nuff said.

jb

/ Loader position when parked #22  
I am not too concerned with being able to keep the booms up safely and securely. My question is will it damage any part of the cylinders? I will only be doing this during the winter as I will be building a shed to store all the tractor equipment. The tractor will always stay in my attached garage. Thanks!

/ Loader position when parked #23  
IowaX475 said:
... I was thinking of raising the loader all the way up and block the cylinders with angle iron. Bad idea? I really want move up in size but would this damage the cylinders if I do this...

My JD 110 TLB has a safety which blocks only one cylinder in the up position.

The purpose is to allow one to safely walk under the loader and access the engine compartment.

Think about how you would get the tractor out of your garage if the hydraulics failed in such a way that the weight of the FEL were taken on the safety, and you had no way to further raise the FEL to release the safety and lower the FEL.