How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather?

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Okay, I know cold weather is "bad" on fluids. I have heard that HST tranny's can "rupture" filters, etc if operated when that hydraulic fluid is not yet warmed up.

Now, I drive a New Holland TN 70A with a power shuttle and 8X8 gear tranny. I have a common sump for all hydraulic fluid that is shared with the FEL, 3 ph, power steering, etc. My question is do I worry abbout the fluid being to cold? And how do I warm it up and how to I know it has warmed up?
Bob

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #2  
Depending on how cold it is, let the engine run for 5 min. or so. As long as the pump is running the fluid is getting warmer. The main thing is not to put a full load on it right away.Take it easy for the first few min.

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #3  
Take a 16" long piece of hyd hose, screw a male tip on each end and plug it into one of your remotes. After you start your tractor in cold weather, pull the remote lever back and let the tractor circulate the oil for a while. Running it through the valve will warm it a lot quicker than just running letting your pump stir it up a little.

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #4  
Bob I think if you use a little common sense and warm the tractor gently before use you'll be OK. While the TC40D warms up I usually hand shovel snow from the front walk-way, that seems to work for me.

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #5  
Think of all the vehicles with power steering and auto transmissions living in cold places.:D

Let the tractor idle for a minute or two, Longer if the shift lever is almost impossible to move or the engine stalls when you release the clutch with the transmission in neutral. Use the hydraulics and steering gently at first with no heavy loading.:D

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #6  
whitetiger said:
Take a 16" long piece of hyd hose, screw a male tip on each end and plug it into one of your remotes. After you start your tractor in cold weather, pull the remote lever back and let the tractor circulate the oil for a while. Running it through the valve will warm it a lot quicker than just running letting your pump stir it up a little.

runnig the oil out through a hose and back into the valve will have very little effect on the oil temp. the oil is already being pumped through the valve and then back to the transmission sump. the only time doing this would help is if it was on a JD or the like with closed centre hydraulics. unless you open a valve on these then the oil doesnt move at all.

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #7  
Morning Doc Bob.
You got some good advice,also exercise your 3 pth & fel...fel slowly up and down couple of times plus curl the bucket.

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #8  
Great question Doc Bob!

I went out yesterday morning to clear snow around the home and a few neighbors driveways. When I started the tractor I heard this awful loud squealing noise. It scared my at first thinking something was wrong. (tractor newbie here) Then it hit me it might be cold fluids. Tried to lift the FEL and it wouldn't hardly move up at all and doing this only made the noise louder. It took probably a good 30 minutes for the fluids to warn up and the noise from the ump to settle down.

Would a magnetic block heater help here with cold hydro fluilds and where would be the best placement on a TC35A gear tractor?

Thanks

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #9  
Yes, such a heater would help. Install it on the bottom of the reservoir (transmission/rear axle).

/ How long to warm up tranny fluid in cold weather? #10  
Randy has a good idea. Moroso makes a 400 wat stick on oil heater we use on race engines and it is only $45. It might be worth a try. Stick it om the bottom of the trans and plug it in an hour before you get ready to use it or put it on a timer. The part # is 23996