battery charger on timer?

/ battery charger on timer? #21  
Soundguy said:
That's a good plan. Kind like with fuel filters.. you can either change them based on set hurs or months.. or you can push them till the plug.. the difference is you may get another month or few more hours down the road.. however.. you may be changing the fuel filter on the side of that road instead of setting home eating dinner.

Soundguy

There are better alternatives to waiting for a filter to plug or to change it by schedule or miles. I have a filter minder on the air cleaner (OEM Dodge) to tell me the % life left in the filter. This lets me change the filters based on measured performance not miles or months.

I have installed an after market spin-on fuel filter to replace the OEM canister hidden where no man has gone before it came with. The filter holder assy has a pressure gauge across the input and output to read the back pressure of the filter. There is a red line at the pressure Cummins recommends as max before changing filters. I always change before it gets that bad but not by miles or months. Changing based on measurements instead of miles or months makes better sense. Do you fill your fuel tank based on miles or time since filing or do you use a fuel gauge?

I treat batteries similarly. A simple fast and easy load test will often detect a degradation of performance before you have a failure and get stranded. It is not a perfect world. Batteries or any other component can fail catastrophically at any time but the odds arre stacked way in favor of actually measuring things instead of working to a fixed schedule.

Isn't that what some of the more sophisticated cars are doing now with oil? They actually look at particulate levels and warn you when to change based on the actual contamination levels of the oil instead of by time or miles.

Pat

/ battery charger on timer? #22  
I guess I'll just have to disagree.

I really don't have the need for a float or computerized charger. For my farm duties.. I've either got a weak battery that needs a boost to start.. thus neeidng a beefy charger with a 50+a booster setting, Or one with a hefty charge setting like 10a or 25a that I can kick on while I grab a sandwhich and then kick her over to boost to make her start.

Not having power out where the bulk of my equipment is parked makes having a float charger more than useless.

Having anything but the most expensive computerized chargers that have an overide setting is also more than useless on a battery that is stone dead.. or even has taken on a small residual reverse charge. In the past i've tried to use computerized chargers of cheap and mid grade, and had them refuse to charge a dead or reversed battery. For the money of the super-duper controller ones.. i can have a 5-8x bigger 'plain' charger/booster.

Besides.. it aint that hard to peer down into a cell and check water level.

Peak charge voltage only becomes an issue when the battery is at or near full charge, and the duration is ongoning.. which I specifically specified.. I.E. a plain charger is fine if the user is tending to it.

If the average 'joe' lacks the grey matter to use a vom.. thet's their problem. They can either read the chinglish manual.. or buy a nice one and read the 5 language manual.. or better yet.. they could have taken electronics in school instead of study hall or golf.. or even better.. taken some usefull electronics courses in college either as electives if they had a non tech major.. or as applicable courses in the case of a tech major. Still.. there are also many opportunities with adult enrichment classes in many communities.

There are some things the average person should know how to do.. even if they ar physically unable to do them.. or lack the proper tools.

Changin' oil, and reading a vom are 2 of those high up on the ( my ) list.
Same with computers... in the old iron days.. people were computer users.. nowadays many people are computer operators.. can be said of most devices and appliances.. people know how to operate them.. but not what makes them tick.. or how to repair them... i see this as a HUGE problem in our society.. and may eventually lead to our downfall as other countries are relied upon for 'service'.. as we become a huge island of no-nothings..

Soundguy

patrick_g said:
I tend to basically disagree that an amp meter or voltmeter as typically employed by the average joe will show you the danger of too long of a charger session. The killer effect is the peak voltage in the waveform of the plain Jane charger.

Even though average current or average voltage is not showing too high a level so as to indicate overdoing it, the voltage peaks will tend to boil off electrolyte.

I agree completely that for a short session (not days on end) the old fashion or simple DIY charger is likely fine. The dual timer arrangement mentioned before was a clever self defense move against the vagaries of the old fashion charger.

Most new chargers of decent design go into a float condition after the heavy lifting has been completed and are safe for longer sessions without needing a timer.

On another but related note. Lets say you buy a solar panel that will make a few amps in bright sun. It is sold for use in 12VDC batt charging applications. You hook it up and aim it south and up at a 45 degree angle and walk away a happy camper. Later you measure the voltage and it is 14.2 (Hooray!) and you even use an amp clamp or open the ckt and insert an amp meter and see only a several hundred miliamps (Again Hooray!)

Then months later you find the battery electrolyte mostly gone and the battery ruined, WHY?? Most solar panels for 12 volt nominal service put out at least 20 volts or more. Without a charge controller (active circuitry) the panel doesn't quit charging at 14.2 vdc or so, it just slows down some.

Most small solar panels sold for putting on your dash or whatever and plugging into your lighter outlet do not come with controllers. If they are small enough in area and thus output they may never cause a problem but if you get a larger panel with some umph and don't use a controller it can overcharge and damage the batt over time.

IF you have an old fashion charger, using it with a timer may be a safer approach but getting a modern charger with tapered charge and float is a better idea. They often have a switch to select deep cycle or starter service batt.

Pat

/ battery charger on timer? #23  
I do have an pressure meter on a newer tractor.. but not the oldies.

A sensor on the fuel would be kinda hard to retrofit on my tractors... as the point of this discussion was for tractor applications.

As for battery life... again.. back to the ammeter.

A dash mounted ammeter wired in a net charge scheme will tell you loads about your tractor electrical system. You start seeing higher than normal charge levels.. then you know your battery needs checking.

Soundguy

patrick_g said:
There are better alternatives to waiting for a filter to plug or to change it by schedule or miles. I have a filter minder on the air cleaner (OEM Dodge) to tell me the % life left in the filter. This lets me change the filters based on measured performance not miles or months.

I have installed an after market spin-on fuel filter to replace the OEM canister hidden where no man has gone before it came with. The filter holder assy has a pressure gauge across the input and output to read the back pressure of the filter. There is a red line at the pressure Cummins recommends as max before changing filters. I always change before it gets that bad but not by miles or months. Changing based on measurements instead of miles or months makes better sense. Do you fill your fuel tank based on miles or time since filing or do you use a fuel gauge?

I treat batteries similarly. A simple fast and easy load test will often detect a degradation of performance before you have a failure and get stranded. It is not a perfect world. Batteries or any other component can fail catastrophically at any time but the odds arre stacked way in favor of actually measuring things instead of working to a fixed schedule.

Isn't that what some of the more sophisticated cars are doing now with oil? They actually look at particulate levels and warn you when to change based on the actual contamination levels of the oil instead of by time or miles.

Pat

/ battery charger on timer? #24  
Soundguy, you said "I guess I'll just have to disagree."

Maybe so but not over much. I am in virtual total agreement with your last post. I know how to use all the above but even folks who know the basics of a VOM may not be hip to the peak voltage of the waveform. I think we are in violent agreement much more than any differences.

Your practical approach and understanding wasn't attained easily or in a couple entry level classes. I was aimed at the typical guy who is better off with a modern charger.

About those chargers that won't charge when you need it the most. Aren't they wonderful?

It never hurts to have one of those old dinosaurs on wheels like the corner gas station had 40 years ago for when you really need some juice. You don't leave then hooked up unattended for a month or two but they serve a purpose in the hands of an experienced person.

Ever use your stick welder on DC for a battery charger? That'll git 'er done!

Still laughing about Chinglish, first time I heard it. Knew about Spanglish but not Chinglish. If you can't read pigeon you might as well not open a manual these days.

I have wasted some time this PM on the phone with Indians and Phillipinos not getting any help for down loading video to computer from Sony not so Handycam.

A continuar este conversacion in Engles, por favor tocar numero dos. Deposito dow mil veinty cinco centavos para cinco minutos.

Pat

/ battery charger on timer? #25  
Patrick,
I hear ya on the gloves. these wouldn't be better than a good pair that you've tried on. I just like that I don't care if I lose them

The actual meaning of that link was a joke. If you watch Jay Leno, you know he has a skit where he shows things that are mis labeled etc.

I believe this ad is one. They have it labeled as a sports first aid kit.
GREAT SAVINGS!

Allan

/ battery charger on timer? #26  
Allan, The challenge is to think of the sport and the injury that validates the advertisement!

Lets see... maybe a 48 hour marathon buffalo milking contest during the winter solstice in Minot ND. The gloves would protect your chapped hands during the finals if you made it through the prelilms.

Pat ;)

/ battery charger on timer? #27  
:D :D :D :D :) ;) :cool:

/ battery charger on timer? #28  
Actually, after going back and re-reading everything from the start.. I agree.

I've never used the dc setting on an arc welder as a bat charger.. however i have used a dc arc welder to warm some things up.. I've also used car batteries as a dc arc welder... just got to be carefull.

In retrospect.. i agree on the classes ( though a couple entry level classes would be great info for the general public... might prevent a few forks in toasters.. etc )

I'll go with the violent agreement then.. it does seem more fitting.

Soundguy

patrick_g said:
Soundguy, you said "I guess I'll just have to disagree."

Maybe so but not over much. I am in virtual total agreement with your last post. I know how to use all the above but even folks who know the basics of a VOM may not be hip to the peak voltage of the waveform. I think we are in violent agreement much more than any differences.

Your practical approach and understanding wasn't attained easily or in a couple entry level classes. I was aimed at the typical guy who is better off with a modern charger.

About those chargers that won't charge when you need it the most. Aren't they wonderful?

It never hurts to have one of those old dinosaurs on wheels like the corner gas station had 40 years ago for when you really need some juice. You don't leave then hooked up unattended for a month or two but they serve a purpose in the hands of an experienced person.

Ever use your stick welder on DC for a battery charger? That'll git 'er done!

Still laughing about Chinglish, first time I heard it. Knew about Spanglish but not Chinglish. If you can't read pigeon you might as well not open a manual these days.

I have wasted some time this PM on the phone with Indians and Phillipinos not getting any help for down loading video to computer from Sony not so Handycam.

A continuar este conversacion in Engles, por favor tocar numero dos. Deposito dow mil veinty cinco centavos para cinco minutos.

Pat

/ battery charger on timer? #29  
GaryE said:
With a good charger you do not need a timer.... But better yet, with a good battery you will not need to worry about the charger. Replace your battery every other year and you have to worry about it.

Gary

Gary,

Whether you are showing Yankee Thrift, or wisdom beyond your years is possibly up for debate. All I know, is it would be great if you lived near me, so I could get your "old" batteries! What some people may not realize is that Maine gets sort of chilly (like WI) and that is when a battery will fail. Changing a battery out, jumping a dead battery or even putting on a charger are all easy to do --> when it's 45F or warmer. Quite the different story at -30F with a stiff wind and snow swirling!!

Keep warm,
jb

/ battery charger on timer? #30  
john_bud said:
Gary,

Changing a battery out, jumping a dead battery or even putting on a charger are all easy to do --> when it's 45F or warmer. Quite the different story at -30F with a stiff wind and snow swirling!!
jb

You said it all.
Bob