Tires Liquid Filled Tires

/ Liquid Filled Tires #1  

tensaw12

Bronze Member
Is there any disadvantage to filling your tires? Would they puncture more easily with the added weight?

/ Liquid Filled Tires #2  
I think the only 'mechanical' disadvantage is if you want a light tractor. For some people a light tractor is more important than a heavy one. The weight of the fluid also needs to be taken inot account when trailering your tractor.

I think other disadvantages mostly have to do with your choice of fluids.

/ Liquid Filled Tires #3  
tensaw12 said:
Is there any disadvantage to filling your tires? Would they puncture more easily with the added weight?
I'll give it a shot...
Answering your 2nd question first, theoretically, yes. But in the real world, no. Filled tires take up air space inside the tire. Liquid does not compress and "air" does. So theoretically, with less air to compress, a spike may induce a slight increase in pressure like having a "harder" more full, more pressure in the tire. But this would be minuscule in real life so I don't think it would make any difference at all in real life....diddly squat.

For all the advantages gained by filling your tires, the disadvantages, ironically, come from getting the gains. That is, a filled tire with a rupture would cause a mess that an unfilled tire does not. Maybe the added weight disrupts your lawn surface more? There's an associated cost, of course, to fill the tires. etc etc. Those kind of disadvantages if you want to call them that, so in my book, they are not really disadvantages. LOL ... That's sorta like buying food to eat and claiming the disadvantage is you have to pay for it. The gains, however, far out weigh those disadvantages. More weight, more stability, way better traction. All this equates to better overall performance and safety for your tractor. Lets you utilize the hp and power your tractor has better to a certain degree.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info...

/ Liquid Filled Tires
George and Rob,
Thanks, to both of you, for your help.Do, either of you, have a fluid of choice?
Thanks
Ray

/ Liquid Filled Tires #5  
Hi Ray,
There are several choices for you, depending on your personal preference. Some liquids have an environmental effect if spilled or a puncture occurs and some do not. Some are are more corrosive to the rims than others. Calcium Chloride fill offers a heavier pounds per gallon, depending on the mixture. Then there is windshield wiper fluid that is used and beet juice (Rim Guard) or a mixture of anti-freeze with water. They all offer the basic gains of loaded tires with different side effects regarding spillage and corrosion and resistance to freezing. Personally, I filled all 4 tires with anti-freeze and water and I did it myself.

/ Liquid Filled Tires
Rob. Again, thanks for your help.
What ratio did you use?Anti Freeze to Water? Does it make a difference.
Thanks Again
Ray

/ Liquid Filled Tires #7  
Well, it depends on how cold it gets where you live. You'll need to determine the number of gallons each tire will hold and the freezing protection you need for that mix. I live in Southern California and it rarely gets below freezing so I used 3 gallons in the rears and 1 in the fronts. Here are 2 links to read ... some information and a chart. It tells you how much weight a filled tire becomes depending on tire size and also a little more on the subject.
Hope that helps....
Tire Ballast Management
Filling Farm Tires

/ Liquid Filled Tires #8  
I see a 3rd disadvantage. If you decide to remove the fluid from
your tires, it is difficult. The first 75% is not so bad, but the rest
requires wheel removal and breaking the bead. Plus it should be
collected and properly disposed of if it is antifreeze.

A tractor that needs to be heavy sometimes for traction or balance,
and lighter sometimes for transport should probably not use
tire fluid IMO. Weight can always be added/removed using an
implement or ballast box.

/ Liquid Filled Tires
Thanks, to all that replied.:)
Ray

/ Liquid Filled Tires #10  
I don't know what size tires you will be filling but here's a webpage I made showing how I filled the tires on my JD 2305, if it helps .

TireBallast