No start-first time in 23 years

/ No start-first time in 23 years #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Except for being delivered with a dead battery from storage for 4 1/2 years, this is the first time for the 1983 Benz diesel did not to start this morning. The glow plug light didn't light. It actually seems to want to start when running the starter; seems to fire on 1 cylinder, almost like one glow plug worked.

So, gonna plug the block heater in and hope to start it. Got an appointment at the dealer on Monday morning. Hopefully, the block heater will allow it to start without being towed.

Shows maybe another reason for having the block heater.

Ralph

/ No start-first time in 23 years #2  
If you can get it firing on 1 and keep cranking it, the compressional heat buildup might get it running. I had an Audi gasser in the early 70's that did not like cold weather. It would start and run, sort of on 2, then the third one would kick in a bit later and I could drive it slowly. This got it warm enough that number 4 would start hitting. The shocks (Koni adjustables set to firm) were still pretty much solid for several miles, which meant driving really slowly 'til I was about halfway to work.

/ No start-first time in 23 years #3  
23 years Ralph, not bad at all. My little soobie is only 17 yrs old and has never failed to start . so far....., the winter is young though. fired right up this morning at 12 deg.

Ben

/ No start-first time in 23 years
I got out the maintenance manual. The glow light does or doesn't come on if 1 or more of the glow plugs is burned out. They're wired in parallel on the 1983.

I checked the resistant on all four. Two appear to be burned out.

Plugged in the block heater while we went for a walk after lunch. Got back, turned key to "glow" position for a count of 10 or so and then turned to start. It started right up.

Got an appointment Monday morning to take it into the dealer. Wife checked that they have the glow plugs in stock. Think I'll have them replace all four. Could do them myself, but what the ****. They know better what they're doing.

Wife somehow thought that the battery could be bad. She's usually pretty good about stuff like this. If it turns the starter, it ain't bad. Actually, it would have started if she'd just have let it glow a bit longer, particularly if she'd plugged in the block heater. But then she might have been stuck at the gym later (it probably would have started then though if she'd just let it glow 10 seconds or so, even though the indicator light isn't showing).

Ralph

The dealer confirmed that 2 were burned out. I had them replace all 4. Hopefully good for another 200,000 miles or 23 years.

It started instantly by just counting up to 10 and after running the block heater for an hour. Probably didn't need the block heater, as we're having a warm spell.

New glow plugs are only $19.40 each. Dealer said they used to be $65 each.

Ralph

/ No start-first time in 23 years #6  
What did they charge you to screw them in?? Parts price wasn't bad, but it is usually the labor charge that gets you. I had to have a ignition switch replaced, and the tech did it in the parking space in less than 3 minutes, start to finish. One hour minimum labor charge!!!

/ No start-first time in 23 years #7  
I grew up with the 300D and TD. I've dealt with the glow plugs many times over the years.

You hardly notice when just one plug is out, but with two, it can prevent a cold start.

I change them myself, but it can take some time, a wrench, socket set with thin, long extensions, and a universal. Some of the plugs are hard to reach and the solid metal injector lines make it even harder to get your fingers where you need them. My dad would have me do the hard to reach ones when I was only 7 because my hands were small and could go almost anywhere. It takes me about 90 minutes now. I also replace them all when two have gone out. The rest seem to die quickly after I've only replaced the dead ones.

My current 300 is an '84. We call it the utility car while the dog insists that it's her car. It always runs. Well almost. My wife took it out last summer and called a half mile from the house saying it quit (I think she was almost happy as she's not as fond of the old diesel as I am). I went down with the tractor expecting to tow it back. Turned out the fuel line slipped off the fuel filter (clamp was a little loose). Had it running again in under a minute. What a champ.

The total bill was about $230, with the glow plugs being about $77 and change.

The 240D's are easy to get to, perhaps the easiest engine in the world to work on, virtually as easy to work on as a tractor engine. I used to do all that work. All I continue to do now is washes, waxes, oil changes, bulb and fuse changes and tire rotations. I even had them do the disc brake pads the last time they were done, mainly to appease them because they were saying the brake booster needed replacing (at $1,000 just for the part). Instead, I let them put those soft US Benz pads on. The booster works fine after they stomped on the brake pedal enough.

The techs like working on my car and tend to take longer checking things out carefully, etc. The dealer then charges me for all that careful time.

Ralph