lift, roll and reset?

/ lift, roll and reset? #1  

MikeTipton

A review of the BX24 mentioned this process.
" It also has enough hoe power to lift, roll and reset the machine. Once you learn this technique, you will rarely have to get off and turn the seat around to move the TLB forward. You can trench all day and stay in the seat facing the hoe. This is how the big boys run the real machines. In order to keep a straight trench a machine must be able to lift and reset position under the hoe power."
Can anyone describe how to "lift, roll and reset"?

Mike T.

/ lift, roll and reset? #2  
I'm not that talented ... I just use a stick to work the hydro pedal to inch forward. Not sure if the safety stuff allows that on a '24.

/ lift, roll and reset? #3  
MikeTipton said:
A review of the BX24 mentioned this process.
" It also has enough hoe power to lift, roll and reset the machine. Once you learn this technique, you will rarely have to get off and turn the seat around to move the TLB forward. You can trench all day and stay in the seat facing the hoe. This is how the big boys run the real machines. In order to keep a straight trench a machine must be able to lift and reset position under the hoe power."
Can anyone describe how to "lift, roll and reset"?

Mike T.

This is just from observing the 'big boys'

Bring the boom back, set bucket on ground near rear.

Pull up the stabilizers.

Either 'uncurl' the bucket or extend the arm/boom to push the machine forward.

Harry K

/ lift, roll and reset? #4  
Some don't even retract the stab's.. they lift the rear of tractor.. stab's and all.. roll forward on front tires using bucket/boom.. then reset and go.. stabilizers never have to be dinked with.. etc.

soundguy

/ lift, roll and reset? #5  
Not to go off topic here, but looking at this post I noticed something kind of interesting. Mike T, the originator of this post has 1 post. Welcome. In contrast Soundguy has 11,672 posts. Now the curious person that I am, I noticed that, Soundguy, you have been a member since Mar 2002. That is approximately 4 years, 9 months. At an average month of 30 days that is 1,710 days. Breaking out the calculator 11,672 posts in 1,710 days equates to 6.83, lets say, 7 posts per day every day for 4 years and 9 months. Soundguy, that is very impressive.

Back on topic, I was reading somewhere here, or else was told about a situation, or maybe this is common practice, where this method of lift, roll and reset was used or is used to cross a ditch where the BH could not have been driven. Although I have never seen something like that, I don't doubt it is true. I have seem some of these "big boys" move that equipment around like a go-kart on in a grocery store. Pretty impressive.

/ lift, roll and reset? #6  
Talk about repositioning ...
About a year ago there was a video of a TLB crawling himself from the ground up and onto a railroad car!
Anybody remember that one?

/ lift, roll and reset? #7  
Duke4AZ said:
Back on topic, I was reading somewhere here, or else was told about a situation, or maybe this is common practice, where this method of lift, roll and reset was used or is used to cross a ditch where the BH could not have been driven. Although I have never seen something like that, I don't doubt it is true. I have seem some of these "big boys" move that equipment around like a go-kart on in a grocery store. Pretty impressive.

This is common practice. Operator pulls up to the trench, and lowers the front bucket enough to clear the front tires from the ground. He then pulls forward until the rear tires are on the edge of the trench. At that time, depending on conditions/mood of operator, he will either raise the bucket to put the machine back on its front wheels, or will lower the backhoe as described above, lift the rear of the unit clear of the ground, and then push it forward, using the dipper cylinder, until the rear wheels are across the trench. He then raises the hoe, causing the rear wheels to come back down on the ground, raises the hoe, and drives away.

It does work. I have done it a few times, in my younger days, and once you get the hang of it, is not all that difficult.

Also, I have witnessed a really good operator loading a Case 580K on a float, with no ramps, or dock. He drove to the back of the trailer, used front bucket to raise the front wheels up to above the level of the deck. Then used the hoe to raise the rear of the unit until it was "level." He then pushed himself forward until the rear wheels were over the trailer, and lowered himself down. It was fairly spooky watching this, but it certainly was impressive.

/ lift, roll and reset? #8  
Reminds me of when i watched a guy unload my JD-B trike from a tall trailer using 2 ramps... backed the rears down till they just were goin to tough the ground.. front tire was about to come off the trailer.. he then spins her around and brings the front of the trike down the right side ramp... did it smooth like he does it all the time..

Soundguy

/ lift, roll and reset? #9  
Here are some great books on TLB operating techniques such as Lift Roll Reset and trench jumping etc.
1. Operating Techniques for the Tractor-Loader- Backhoe By Gary J. Ober
Everybody with a BH should read this. This is a trade school text book.
2. Backhoe Loader handbook. By Reinor Christian.
Good stuff less pictures than above.
I think the first 2 are great books with a lot of basic and advanced info.
This next one is more for planning construction projects that require excavation.
Excavation & Grading Handbook By Nick Capachi Craftman Publishing

/ lift, roll and reset? #10  
There is one drawback from lifting your tractor with the hoe on a CUT. It puts a tremendous strain on the subframe and its attachment points.