When "tractor love" goes too far

/ When "tractor love" goes too far #21  
Most tractor owners who are still working today are probably too young to remember what came before tractors -- and tractors may have gained some "good will" or some of the traditional affection that existed for what they replaced. I remember our draft mare, Ol' Nell, and her replacement -- the mule, Ol' Maude, that plowed our garden and dragged logs and railroad ties as well as the hay wagon. They were part of the farm "family". I don't ever talk to my 'Bota, though, the way I did to them.

/ When "tractor love" goes too far #22  
I dont know about tractor love, however, there is a bond you feel to the land and nature when operating one. I have worked in the green industry for 3 decades and i can tell you, you dont feel that bond running loaders,excavators or skids, it only comes from tractors! :)

/ When "tractor love" goes too far #23  
Dancer......... I was thinking the same thing. Many years ago, when I was searching old barns in NH looking for old cars, I stopped at a farm and was talking to the old farmer. Asked him if there were any old cars in the barns, and he said, yes, of course. Asked to see it and if it were OK to take a picture of it. This was my way of getting to see what the car was, and hopefully to be able to buy it. He told me that he had a old horse that used to plow the fields, and he would like a picture of the horse. I obliged and a week later brought back a picture of the horse for him. The old car turned out to be a Model T that looked like it just came from the factory. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to talk him into selling it, but I did make him happy with the picture of the horse. I don't think that I have ever seen a horse with such a sway in its back as that one. He told me that it was 35 years old, but who knows. He was also very old at the time, and him memory might have been failing. Now, that I think about it, I am probably not much different in age than he was back then. Where do the years go?
Dusty

/ When "tractor love" goes too far #24  
Dargo said:
Ah, I don't think it's that bad. I have a SuperGlide and I get a kick out of all the guys I know who just have to buy all the Harley crap; leathers, boots, black T shirts, hats, tattoos - everywhere, quit shaving, quit bathing etc. etc. I simply think they fell for the marketing ploy hook, line, and sinker. I have nothing Harley other than the bike. For tractors, me, my wife, and my kids just call them by their color or their brand. No affection or special attraction. Sorry, it's just a machine. :eek:

I guess it was a tongue in cheek joke,

I've never seen anyone with a John Deere tattoo so it doesn't have that big of a cult following. LOL>