Traction Traction is all about balance

/ Traction is all about balance #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Well, I learned that with adding a few hundred pounds on my 3ph allowed me to run in rear wheel drive while moving heavy and wet manure in the bucket. Without the weight, my rear wheels lost traction (engaging 4WD did not help!!!!). I had to dump the manure to get out of the wet and slippery ground. Now, with weight on the rear balancing the weight in the bucket means more weight on the rear and therefore more traction. I moved all the heavy wet manure that beat me the day before without the 3ph weight.

Everyone else knew this already. I am slow to learn :D !

Bob

/ Traction is all about balance #2  
Sure you notice better handling also safer...easier to steer & less bouncing...like they say...little bit can go long ways. :)

/ Traction is all about balance #3  
I drove the dump trailer yesterday, behind my 5245 with home built front loader, while my brother was digging some drainage ditches with a hired Hitachi EX30 mini excavator.

Because of the weight on the front axle, i had trouble backing up the dumper through the mud (i decided to reverse to th excavator in a straight line, instead of making along turn through the wet field.)

Backing it up empty, from the muddy dumpsite, the front wheels would push so hard that the rear end jack knifed every time. i could only make small turns. Being loaded, there was tongue weight on the rear end and there was no problem backing the dumper up at all, even though the dumptrailer is on single 12x20 truck tires that cut through the soil as a knife through the butter.

/ Traction is all about balance
Renze said:

Because of the weight on the front axle, i had trouble backing up the dumper through the mud (i decided to reverse to th excavator in a straight line, instead of making along turn through the wet field.)

You have described exactly what happened to me with my tractor.
Bob

/ Traction is all about balance #5  
I used the FEL with no rear ballast. That created some excitement dumping heavy loads into a dump trailer. Rear wheels popping off the ground was not my idea of fun. Traction was iffy at times.

Using a box blade with 240# of suitcase weights on the back dramatically improved traction and stability. Better, but still not perfect.

Guess what?? The tractor is rock solid when a backhoe is hanging back there. I am leaving the backhoe on all the time now when doing lots of FEL work.

Moral of the story: You need a backhoe as proper ballast. That can be your reason/excuse for buying one.

/ Traction is all about balance #6  
Doc_Bob:

We all have "learning curves". Tractor "balance" is essential when it comes to using tractors and atttachments. It is my belief that if you "learn" how to use a "smaller" tractor you can handle a "bigger" tractor. I have been "following" your threads for awhile now- it is my impression that you know what you need to know and act upon your own experiences. I am concerned for the "newbees" who with little or no experience buy tractors far bigger than what they really need based on the the "HP junkies" in TBN land. I wish I had a bigger tractor on occasion, but I always get the job done. Jay

gordon21 said:
Moral of the story: You need a backhoe as proper ballast. That can be your reason/excuse for buying one.

I will run this past my wife :D !
Bob

jbrumberg said:
Doc_Bob:

We all have "learning curves".

TBN and Onsight (local tractor friend) have made this "on-line learning course" successful. Thank goodness for TBN!
Bob

/ Traction is all about balance #9  
It is not all adding weight. I have a TSC Quick Hitch. Putting my weight box on the hitch makes a big difference. Using the Quick Hitch moves the weight box back about 4". Seems like I added another 300 lbs instead of the Quick Hitches 75 lbs.

/ Traction is all about balance #10  
Yep.. rear ballast. Here is my loader tractor...

Soundguy

Doc_Bob said:
Well, I learned that with adding a few hundred pounds on my 3ph allowed me to run in rear wheel drive while moving heavy and wet manure in the bucket. Without the weight, my rear wheels lost traction (engaging 4WD did not help!!!!). I had to dump the manure to get out of the wet and slippery ground. Now, with weight on the rear balancing the weight in the bucket means more weight on the rear and therefore more traction. I moved all the heavy wet manure that beat me the day before without the 3ph weight.

Everyone else knew this already. I am slow to learn :D !

Bob

Attachments

• 660-1sm.jpg
    660-1sm.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 475