Differential Lock Question

/ Differential Lock Question
Those are indeed some great replies. Thank you very much.
I do need to read that book again jsu tbecause its been a while.

I normally engage with wheels both stopped and the clutch engaged.
Not sure if that is needed, but just seems like the thing to do.
I am always overly careful about that tranny and diff. never sharp turn while engaged in dirt.
Major damage and I am out of biz for a long long long time they cost so much to fix.

Thanks again!

/ Differential Lock Question #12  
CharlieTR said:
I normally engage with wheels both stopped and the clutch engaged.

What do you mean by 'the clutch engaged'? I usually disengage the clutch (i.e. pushing the clutch pedal in), step on the diff lock and then let the clutch pedal back out. I also let the rear wheels stop spinning. I'm sure a little rotation won't hurt and in some cases a little rotation might be necessary to engage the diff lock, but I've never had any trouble engaging the diff lock with everything stopped.

There has been at least on report on TBN of someone doing some significant damage by engaging the diff lock with the the rears spinning under significant load.

/ Differential Lock Question #13  
Spinning a little ( slow ) is ok.. spinning fast will cause a problem..

Soundguy

/ Differential Lock Question #14  
I will do a quick rock forward and back to un-lock the differential. This is usually because I want to make a sharp turn after using the lock and want to KNOW it is free.

jb

/ Differential Lock Question #15  
I usually don't have to worry about problems with a sharp turn. If I've had to use the diff lock it is usually because things are very slippery, in which case a sharp turn isn't going to hurt anything. Of course, on occasion I've had to use the diff lock because one front wheel and one rear wheel are off the ground!

/ Differential Lock Question #16  
In those cases some steering brakes will work too... been there, done that..

Soundguy

/ Differential Lock Question #17  
The differential lock on my New Holland TN is a switch on the dash. It has several modes, off, stay engaged and stay engaged but release when no longer needed. It is electro hydraulic and locks both front and rear axles.

Andy

/ Differential Lock Question
N80,

Yes, I should have said disengaged (clutch peddle pushed in).
It seems I never feel or sense any binding when I do this (same as you explained).

It seems that major damage can be caused very easy by improper operation.
I guess another reason to never loan out my tractor.

/ Differential Lock Question #19  
My owners manual states to "apply the brakes to disengage the differential lock". Maybe give that a try and see what happens.
John

/ Differential Lock Question #20  
Soundguy said:
In those cases some steering brakes will work too... been there, done that..Soundguy

Yep, I think that would work very well in the situation when one wheel is off the ground (and others). Even better really. But, like a lot of new compact tractor users, I've never used the steering breaks and just don't think about it. I don't think mine have ever been unlocked and the little lever that locks them is so tight it is hard to disconnect the two pedals.