Hydro Top Link broke...crash

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #1  

Jrrcorp

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I hooked up my 5' snow blower and started for the house when crash, down it went. The casting around the ball that the pin goes thru where it attaches to the tractor split in two. I hope to cut that part off and weld a new piece on. Anyone have this happen to them?

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #2  
Yikes, sounds expensive? What kind of tractor?

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash
JD 4410 . I'll find out soon if it can fixed and what it will cost. I'll post a follow up to let you know and also a pic of the break.

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #4  
You mean the differential housing broke? Yikes! I've heard of that happening with 3pt hoe applications, but not a snow blower. Was there a casting fault?

jb

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #5  
Perhaps when you say "casting around the ball that the pin goes through" you mean the hydraulic cylinder end, not the holes in the back of the tractor housing, right? If that's the case, that can be welded back on and you can get them at Agri-Supply or Surplus Center and other places too.
I had the entire swivel and casting break off the rod end of the cylinder and CCM replaced it right away. It was just a bad weld.
On yours, how did it happen exactly? By just lifting the blower for transport or what?

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #6  
I'm going to guess he means the end of the top link broke and it happened when he had the snowblower lifted and hit a pretty good bump to provide a sudden shock load to the part. Presuming that's accurate, it sounds like either a case of too much load for the link or a defective part. I would tend to favor the defective part explanation and see about getting it replaced instead of fixed.

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #7  
Sounds like the swivel eye on the top link, right? I hope so. A new top link is under $30.00 at Rural King.

If it is the casting on the tractor where the top link attaches, YIKES! That will be expensive.

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #8  
MossRoad said:
Sounds like the swivel eye on the top link, right? I hope so. A new top link is under $30.00 at Rural King.

If it is the casting on the tractor where the top link attaches, YIKES! That will be expensive.

I thought it said Hydro top link ? A hydraulic top link, not so cheap.
Ben

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #9  
Better than a part of the differential casing.

Andy

/ Hydro Top Link broke...crash #10  
slowrev said:
I thought it said Hydro top link ? A hydraulic top link, not so cheap.
Ben

You can get a normal top link from TSC or Rural King and cut the swivel end off. Then weld it onto the hydraulic cylinder. I had a hard time finding just the swivel eye end with the correct diameter for the pin. The ones I found need to use a bushing to get it to the correct size.