Skidder tractor VS. Tracked tractor

/ Skidder tractor VS. Tracked tractor #1  

Robbie Hegwood

Platinum Member
I wasn't sure where to post this so I'll try here. Last week on a project had to mulch in a swamp and retention pond that has been holding water due to beavers. I've sinced removed beavers and water but this time of year it's not drying. I did alot with my RC-100 before getting stuck. My question is I've recently demoed a TV-145 articulated tractor with forstry tires and liked it very well, but will it handle the mud as well as a wide tracked Fecon tracked carrier could. There is a considerable price break towards the TV-145 so if was close the TV would win. I would hate to buy the TV only to get stuck as easily as with my RC-100. Any thoughts would help I've never been around skidder type tired machines. Robbie

/ Skidder tractor VS. Tracked tractor #2  
Sinking in mud is a function of the machine loading. Pounds per sq foot. Take the flate plate area of the tires divided by the total weight of machine. You might be able to look it up on the Titan website. Do the same for the trak machine and see how close the two are. Just a start.

/ Skidder tractor VS. Tracked tractor #3  
In general tracks place less PSI on the ground than a similar size wheeled tractor. I agree with shaley. Figure out the foot print of the wheeled unit and see how much force it applies to the ground compared to the tracked unit.

/ Skidder tractor VS. Tracked tractor
That's what I was looking for, thanks. The difference on price is almost half. Plus the TV-145 has almost 3' of ground clearance and no tracks to wear out or get full of mud. Just put fuel in it and go mulching. I'll look it up let you know. thanks Robbie

/ Skidder tractor VS. Tracked tractor #5  
How deep is the mud? The TV may sink more but find a hard bottom a foot or two down and be able to keep going if there is a soild bottom to it. Without a soild bottom the tracks will win hands down but be alot harder to get out if you do get stuck.

That's a good point also. In the worst section my 14 year old sank to his knees while getting a drink of water. I had to pull him out. It was that black dead mud that stinks. But now that you mention it most areas I was in did have a bottom at the deepest 8-10". So I believe the TV would still be my best choice. And being equal if both had winches I would definitely rather winch out the TV than a tracked tractor. I've read the longer they sit the worse it gets escpecially if the mud reaches the skid pans on tracked machines. Another section I am dealing with I have to cross a 1' deep by 2' wide drainage ditch I would have liked to just have driven across but am having to use railroad ties to make a bridge to finish the project. I would be nice to drive the TV right through it. Convience has a big price tag!!! Robbie

/ Skidder tractor VS. Tracked tractor #7  
Around here we use skidders for normal bush work (logging), but if difficult, muddy or wet terrain is expected such as hydro line or ski-doo trail work the only choice is a rubber tracked vehicle. The tracked vehicle that gets stuck is normally a few miles farther down the trail than the skidder would think of going. (Course I'm not familiar with a RC-100)

Thanks for the reply. I recently demoed a gyrotrac GT-25 that used bobardia(spell) snow tractor tracks. It without a doubt would work but the price tag is not so friendly. My ASV RC-100 has 18" wide solid rubber tracks with 6' length on the ground. It will go where most will not just the swamp won!!!