Plowing the street with a FEL

/ Plowing the street with a FEL #1  

LoneCowboy

Veteran Member
or Eddie Walker is the man.

In the last 15 days we've gotten over 50" of snow. The average for the whole season over the last 10 years has been like 44. Suffice to say there's a lot of snow and I live on a private dirt road. The neighbors and I have been removing it with our tractors. I'm getting REALLY good with the FEL, although i REALLY HATE THOSE MANHOLE COVERS. You should see the bruises where I hit the spinner. Man, 12mph to zero in 1 inch. ugh.

Anyway, I was reading some of the project posts and I saw Eddie's post on bulldozing and the best way to move dirt with a dozer was to pull through the middle and then leave little rows in between, as the rows hold it all in. Well, pushing snow with a FEL (Yes, plow is ordered, won't snow the rest of the season when it comes in ) is just like that.
So, after today's 8" out doing the road, I tried that.

WORKS GREAT
Thanks guys, much quicker that way and my street is all fancy.
Great board, and sometimes you don't even know how.

/ Plowing the street with a FEL #2  
Good job! I'm sure I'm speaking for others when I say I'd like to see some pics if you have them.

/ Plowing the street with a FEL #4  
Brian: Pray for the plow to come in!!!! I finally got mine (7 footer on a Branson 3510) and so far, it's much faster than the FEL bucket. Got it on just before Storm #1 (I'm in Conifer, CO, @ 8300 feet elevation).

I also have about 1/2 mile of driveway (then another 1/2 mile that's shared with others) but it's in the mountains. The plow works great, although in a couple places I have to slog through the snow uphill, so I can turn around & plow DOWNHILL. If this snow keeps up, I'll probably have to put the bucket back on so I can lift & pile higher than the plow.

Oh, and while you're praying, ask that Storm #4 (due in this Thursday) is a little gentler!:eek::eek:

/ Plowing the street with a FEL
Oh, this will be the last storm of the season?
Becuase I gave up and ordered a plow for the truck
Should be in the following week
Won't snow again, I'm sure of it. :(

I dunno, I like the snow and cold, keeps the californian's out. ;)

/ Plowing the street with a FEL #6  
That ole snow valve needs to be replace...stuck wide open,may the blue sky and moon shine for many weeks for you folks out there.

/ Plowing the street with a FEL #7  
I am glad someone is helping by buying a plow to stop it from snowing!!!!

You can blame me for these storms tho, I sold my blow about a 2 months ago because I didn't use it at all last year!

Now I am using the bucket and a back blade!

/ Plowing the street with a FEL #9  
LoneCowboy said:
Anyway, I was reading some of the project posts and I saw Eddie's post on bulldozing and the best way to move dirt with a dozer was to pull through the middle and then leave little rows in between, as the rows hold it all in. Well, pushing snow with a FEL (Yes, plow is ordered, won't snow the rest of the season when it comes in ) is just like that.
So, after today's 8" out doing the road, I tried that.
OK, I'm confused. You wouldn't happen to have a pointer to Eddie Walker's orginal post, would you? We got about 10 inches of snow a day ago and I could use this technique, but I can't make much sense out of the summary.

Literally "pull" through the middle? As in reverse? And the middle of what? Pull through the middle of a big pile of dirt, or in this case, snow?
And I have no idea what you means by "little rows in between".

/ Plowing the street with a FEL #10  
lopezian said:
And I have no idea what you mean by "little rows in between".

I'm with Lopezian. Please describe in more detail.