hour meter and 3-pt

/ hour meter and 3-pt #1  

lovinlifeathome

Couple of questions...

1. Hour meter - does the hour meter count all time that the engine is actually running?

2. When the 3-pt is engaged with implement and it pulsates up and down, what does that mean?
And what would be the repair?

Thanks so much..:)
Carla

/ hour meter and 3-pt #2  
1. the hour meter is usually tied to engine revolutions. 1 hour on the meter usually equals 1 hour of running at whatever RPM generates 540 PTO RPMs. If you run less engine RPMs then it will take physically longer to reach 1 hour on the meter.

2. Is the 3pt up or down or in the middle? Are you moving the control lever when the pulsing happens? Is the lever and 3pt completely down? If the 3pt is pulsing and you are not moving the control lever then the fedback linkage may be misadjusted.

You have not filled out your profile so we have no idea of what kind of tractor you are talking about. Different brands of tractors may react differently due to different types of 3pt (position control or 1/4" movement).

/ hour meter and 3-pt
Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

Is the 3pt up or down or in the middle? up or in the middle, can't really
move on the ground
Are you moving the control lever when the pulsing happens? no
Is the lever and 3pt completely down? no

Sorry for not giving more info. It is a new Kubota tractor but wasn't
sure if I should post it in just that section?

We are just buying the tractor and there have been a LOT of problems
and I guess we just want to know if this is common in tractor-buying.
The first tractor they brought: 3-pt hitch knob was smashed, grille
was dented and broken, hood was repaired and painted, was supposed
to have foldable ROPS and didn't, engine had a hesitation in it.

We thought they would be really careful with the 2nd one but the 3-pt didn't work
(that was the pulsating). And we're 120 miles from the dealer (or ANY dealer:) ).

So, all in all, we're rethinking our tractor purchase, and looking for reassurance.
Any comments gladly accepted - thanks again.

Carla
apprehensive in Montana

/ hour meter and 3-pt #4  
lovinlifeathome said:
Couple of questions...

1. Hour meter - does the hour meter count all time that the engine is actually running?

If your new tractor has an electronic (LCD) hour meter, then it is
probable that your hour meter reports real hours that your starter
switch is in the ON position.

You do not say what model tractor you have...some have mechanical
meters that report different "hours" based on engine speed.

/ hour meter and 3-pt #5  
DF,

Doesn't always have anything to do with LCD or analog. My 2005 case DX33 has an analog meter. Here's the wording straight from the manual

"Proof Meter - records the hours and portions of hours that your tractor has been operated regardless of engine RPM"

I would suggest it has more to do with your specific tractor and brand than what type of display you have.

jk

/ hour meter and 3-pt #6  
Most ag tractors have proof meters like Mad responded. Most construction equipment will have hour meters. Not sure why. The three-point should not be pulsing on a new tractor. Maybe if it is real cold it will do it when first started as the cold oil struggles to get through a filter for the first few minutes. Kubota's are good tractors, you are just having bad luck or have a poor dealer.

/ hour meter and 3-pt #7  
You've gotten good answers. There is one other thing that could contribute to the 3-pt "pulsating" and that is a leak in the lift cylinder. Position Control is trying to maintain the position of the implement (fully raised) by replenishing the oil required to maintain that position. The most likely cause is control lever linkage adjustment as Mad points out.

/ hour meter and 3-pt #8  
jk96 said:
DF,

Doesn't always have anything to do with LCD or analog. My 2005 case DX33 has an analog meter. Here's the wording straight from the manual

"Proof Meter - records the hours and portions of hours that your tractor has been operated regardless of engine RPM"

I would suggest it has more to do with your specific tractor and brand than what type of display you have.

jk

I would be very interested in hearing an explanation of how a mechanical, (analog), counter, (meter), can record the same amount regardless of the speed of the input.:confused:

/ hour meter and 3-pt #9  
Uh.. easy.. en electric clock.. like with a motor and gears... that would be an (analog) electric (meter) that measured hours as long as the key is on.

Still.. analog or digital display doesn't really tell you what you have till you see it operate. Some tractors actually have a LCD display.. yet still only record 'rpm-hours' .

Soundguy

normde2001 said:
I would be very interested in hearing an explanation of how a mechanical, (analog), counter, (meter), can record the same amount regardless of the speed of the input.:confused:

/ hour meter and 3-pt #10  
Also.. I agree with the idea that the pulsating may be a leaky lift cyl, and a regen cycle being seen.

Soundguy