A few lessons learned after 3 years

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #21  
davemhughes said:
A fuel gauge is really for show.....look in the tank if you think you might need fuel reguardless of what the gauge says.

And always use a sealed beam flashlight to do so.

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #22  
About the salesman, reminded me of a sign I read in my JD dealers office.

"Arguing with tractors salesman is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig likes it!"

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #23  
Congratulations Talltale on your new tractor. How about some pics? Why the filled tires on the front? That 8 ft blade should do the job on the snow.

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #24  
good job, Talltale. you'll love it---especially 'bout fillin the front tires. learned that lession myself a while back. I even foam filled 'em. ain't had a flat yet!!!

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years
The filled front tires may be a bit of overkill with the 5040, but the added weight should help keep the front end from being pushed around by the big blade. I'm also putting Trygg ice chains on all fours. You can take a look at them at White Mountain Chain of Bonners Ferry, Idaho. They're the only chains I've found that don't disappear into the lugs on Ag tires. I'll post some pictures as soon as the tractor is delivered (sometime next week).

By the way, the final straw with the L3830 was having to get pulled off a snow berm I was high centered on by my neighbor with his JD 5205.

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #26  
talltale,

Which chains are you getting on your tractor? I followed the link that you posted but didn`t see any specifically called ice chains.

BTW, how much are the ice chains for the front, just as a frame of reference.

Thanks!

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years
The chains are Trygg Flexi's. 9.5X24 fronts are around $500.00. 14.9x28 rears are around $850.00. Most folks forgo the pricey fronts and opt for a cheap set of ladder chains. If you really need the traction, spring for a good set of fronts and rears.

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #28  
SacandagaBrad said:
A 7' opening only slows a 7'2" ROPS a little bit, depending on construction of course.

Wow, that must be an understatement! I thought my discovery that a standard 80" door would allow an 80.25" ROPS through with only minor creaks, groans, and cracks was the limit of the physics involved! Your 2" "push" beats my quarter of an inch by a long shot, (but I can still operate my door!)

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #29  
briancd said:
Wow, that must be an understatement! I thought my discovery that a standard 80" door would allow an 80.25" ROPS through with only minor creaks, groans, and cracks was the limit of the physics involved! Your 2" "push" beats my quarter of an inch by a long shot, (but I can still operate my door!)

I interpreted his statement to mean that he seriously damaged his building because the ROPS won the fight. Curious to hear the whole story though.

/ A few lessons learned after 3 years #30  
When I forgot to lower the ROPs and jammed the tractor under my door opening, I put the bucket in full dump, then lowered it all the way, raising the front end enough to be able to fold the ROP. Didn't do much damage to the door opening.

ron