Chains I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME #1  

Farwell

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2010
We finally had enough snow in Mid Michigan to justify trying out my new tire chains on my JD 2010. They worked great. This was a first for me, I have always used a walk behind snow blower to clear my 200 foot plus drive way because my tractor tires couldn't get enough traction to successfully use my back blade. The driveway is a little rough because I haven't added shoes to the blade yet and the accuracy of my hydraulic lift leaves a little bit to be desired. The chains were a good $220+shipping investment.
David B

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME #2  
Glad you got to use them and that they worked well. Mine arrived today via UPS for the front tires, there was just no way I could manhandle chains for the rears. Mine came from Tirechain.com and they seem sturdy, I guess time will tell.

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME #3  
Hey David, glad to hear that they worked well for you. Chains are on my should-I-buy-'em? list. I've gone through two winters without them and have done fine, but early this winter we had some fresh snow with really slippery hard-packed wet snow underneath. In places, my tires just couldn't seem to get a grip and I had to totally lift the snow blower to get the tractor to even move.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and order some.

Tom

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME #4  
Oleozz said:
Glad you got to use them and that they worked well. Mine arrived today via UPS for the front tires, there was just no way I could manhandle chains for the rears. Mine came from Tirechain.com and they seem sturdy, I guess time will tell.

The best way to put chains on the rears is to drive them on. No man handling.

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME #5  
If you like them in winter, wait until you try them in summer. The traction difference is phenominal.

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME #6  
Needing chains means rolling over and going back to sleep... did the chain thing years ago, no more.

mark

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME #7  
I thought about chains this week. We had a little sleet; next day freezing rain; makes solid ice. No way I could pull or push anything w/o chains. But then the blade wouldn't cut it anyhow and scarifiers on a box blade would rip up the gravel so that I could blade off the broken ice and half my road. Anazing that just a wee bit of ice is a bigger PITA than 10" of snow which I can handle nicely w/o chains

RIGHT!: turn over; go back to sleep. The cupboard is full; heat & lights ON.

/ I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME
Cord said:
If you like them in winter, wait until you try them in summer. The traction difference is phenominal.
Cord,
I am planning on giving my chains a Spring try-out. Many times I have needed just a little more traction than my ag tires were capable of giving. I have quite a bit of sugar sand and don't think chains will help there but I will find out.
David B