Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2010

Default I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME

We finally had enough snow in Mid Michigan to justify trying out my new tire chains on my JD 2010. They worked great. This was a first for me, I have always used a walk behind snow blower to clear my 200 foot plus drive way because my tractor tires couldn't get enough traction to successfully use my back blade. The driveway is a little rough because I haven't added shoes to the blade yet and the accuracy of my hydraulic lift leaves a little bit to be desired. The chains were a good $220+shipping investment.
    David B
    David B

Tractor
    International 1066 with Year Round Cab, Kioti DK 45S with Cab, 451 Loader

Default Re: I USED MY NEW CHAINS FOR THE FIRST TIME

Glad you got to use them and that they worked well. Mine arrived today via UPS for the front tires, there was just no way I could manhandle chains for the rears. Mine came from Tirechain.com and they seem sturdy, I guess time will tell.

Tractor
    JD 4310

Hey David, glad to hear that they worked well for you. Chains are on my should-I-buy-'em? list. I've gone through two winters without them and have done fine, but early this winter we had some fresh snow with really slippery hard-packed wet snow underneath. In places, my tires just couldn't seem to get a grip and I had to totally lift the snow blower to get the tractor to even move.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and order some.

Tom

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

Quote Originally Posted by Oleozz
    Glad you got to use them and that they worked well. Mine arrived today via UPS for the front tires, there was just no way I could manhandle chains for the rears. Mine came from Tirechain.com and they seem sturdy, I guess time will tell.

The best way to put chains on the rears is to drive them on. No man handling.
    M-5040 w/cab, 05 RTV 900, Where the maple sap flows

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Resident Architect

If you like them in winter, wait until you try them in summer. The traction difference is phenominal.
    Turbo Yanmar 1110d, 4wd, powershift, kwick-way loader SOLD
    1988 Waldon 5100, Cummins 4b SOLD
    1999 Gehl 6635

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

Needing chains means rolling over and going back to sleep... did the chain thing years ago, no more.

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000

I thought about chains this week. We had a little sleet; next day freezing rain; makes solid ice. No way I could pull or push anything w/o chains. But then the blade wouldn't cut it anyhow and scarifiers on a box blade would rip up the gravel so that I could blade off the broken ice and half my road. Anazing that just a wee bit of ice is a bigger PITA than 10" of snow which I can handle nicely w/o chains

RIGHT!: turn over; go back to sleep. The cupboard is full; heat & lights ON.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Cord
    If you like them in winter, wait until you try them in summer. The traction difference is phenominal.
    Cord,
    I am planning on giving my chains a Spring try-out. Many times I have needed just a little more traction than my ag tires were capable of giving. I have quite a bit of sugar sand and don't think chains will help there but I will find out.
    David B
    David B