Dozer Rental Question to Cut "V" Ditch?

/ Dozer Rental Question to Cut "V" Ditch? #1  

coastalguy

Hello All,

I need to cut a "V" ditch on both sides of my dirt driveway, approx. 250 feet long. I had a contractor supposedly do it before but he didn't cut the swales deep enough. He didn't use a level. AARRGH!!!! The water ponds on either side of the driveway along the entire length and also saturates the road making it rut. I believe if I can cut ditches beside the road it will drop the water level and keep the road dryer.

Anyway, I believe I need to rent a dozer and finish the work he didn't complete. I have heard bad things about compact dozers (40 Hp). I was thinking of a 80 HP Komatsu. Would this be big enough? Also, would one day be enough to cut the ditches (one on each side)?

Part II. The contractor put in a tiny 4" pvc culvert. I want to replace that with a 12" HPDE corrugated pipe. I am I gonna a need a backhoe or could I cut the culvert ditch deep enough with the dozer to use two men to place the plastic culvert pipe.

Or, do I just need to rent a backhoe, dig the ditches and "throw" the ditch material onto the road?

/ Dozer Rental Question to Cut "V" Ditch? #2  
coastalguy said:
Hello All,

I need to cut a "V" ditch on both sides of my dirt driveway, approx. 250 feet long. I had a contractor supposedly do it before but he didn't cut the swales deep enough. He didn't use a level. AARRGH!!!! The water ponds on either side of the driveway along the entire length and also saturates the road making it rut. I believe if I can cut ditches beside the road it will drop the water level and keep the road dryer.

Anyway, I believe I need to rent a dozer and finish the work he didn't complete. I have heard bad things about compact dozers (40 Hp). I was thinking of a 80 HP Komatsu. Would this be big enough? Also, would one day be enough to cut the ditches (one on each side)?

Part II. The contractor put in a tiny 4" pvc culvert. I want to replace that with a 12" HPDE corrugated pipe. I am I gonna a need a backhoe or could I cut the culvert ditch deep enough with the dozer to use two men to place the plastic culvert pipe.

Or, do I just need to rent a backhoe, dig the ditches and "throw" the ditch material onto the road?

I'm not sure anyone can answer your questions without eyeballing the site, but it sounds to me like the problem is not the depth of your ditches, but lack of any runoff area for the water, (deeper ditches just = deeper water).

/ Dozer Rental Question to Cut "V" Ditch? #3  
Coastal... I've seen water filled ditches along paths, and they're fine... how far above the water line is the driveway? Actually, if you have photos that might help? If you have ruts, how was the driveway put in? What kind of rock base and did you use fabric?

About the dozer and wet land... ever get one stuck?