Tractor would'nt start today

/ Tractor would'nt start today #1  

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
If you haven't done so already, check your battery and cable connections. Today was the test here. Temp got down to about 5 deg F last night. Two things happened.

First, the 36 month old 60 month battery did not have enough cold cranking amps to spin it over very fast. Tried jump starting but still cranked hard. Load test showed a bad battery.

Second, the fuel gelled up. Apparently I did not have enough Service Power 911 mixed in even though I followed the guidelines on the bottle. Had to fire up the salamander heater and place it at the back of the tractor blowing heat underneath and put the battery on the charger. Went back in for coffee and read the morning paper. About an hour later it finally started so I added more SP additive and drove around for a while to get it into the fuel lines then parked it in the garage. Next step was to buy a new battery with a higher CCA rating. Painted battery plate it sits on, replaced battery and cable ends. The tightening bolts on the original cable ends had rusted and corroded to the point no wrench would fit them so had to use Vise grips and terminal puller to get them off.

Also had to replace an in-tank fuel pump on a friends truck which stopped working yesterday, but that's another story.

/ Tractor would'nt start today #2  
Check to see if you are actually using power service 911. ( red bottle) You should be using the white bottle plain old power service. The 911 is more for getting it un-gelled ( there is a term) You want to condition the fuel. Also the red bottle 911 contains alchohol I beleive, and that is not good in large doses.

I use the white bottle and -19 here and the PSD fired up fine and ran great.

/ Tractor would'nt start today
Yes I am using the red bottle. It says it is for de-icing frozen fuel filters, reliquifies gelled diesel, removes water from fuel, and kills microbial growth in fuel. I guess i'll pick up a white botte next trip to the store.

/ Tractor would'nt start today #4  
It was a slow turn on my 2615 in the 3 degree (wind chill) weather but I cycled the glow plugs 2-3 times and it took. I was worried for a second though as it was real slow cranking.

Sounds like out tractors are about the same age. I'll plan on a new battery next winter! ;)

/ Tractor would'nt start today #5  
Funny you posted about getting a new battery and having starting problems. I'm going through the same thing right now except my tractor is 235 miles away.

/ Tractor would'nt start today #6  
Mine wouldn't start when I got home from work last night. I wanted to clean up the mess on the back of my property with the box blade. The mess was from a Cat D-6 spending almost an hour digging out two huge pine stumps that have been back there for about 5 years. They were working on the property next door and I asked about hitting those two stumps and a price.
An hour of that big Cat cost me a 12 pack of Augie's finest...
I think 4 year old batteries might have something to do with the sluggish starting...
David from jax

/ Tractor would'nt start today #7  
George2615 said:
If you haven't done so already, check your battery and cable connections. Today was the test here. Temp got down to about 5 deg F last night.

Well, it was 1F here this AM. Luckily last night I checked the auto timer on my block heater and gave it a little more leeway. 3 hours for it to warm up before I started the tractor. And... Vroom! And away she went! Then I went and shoveled what needed shoveling, brought in wood and cleaned the cars off. Now, plenty warm, I went and plowed the drive. Nice!

/ Tractor would'nt start today #8  
I had to replace two batteries within a week last month on a tractor and mower.

/ Tractor would'nt start today #9  
I change my battery every other year. Some think it is excessive, but it would have avoided some of your problems!

Good luck,

Gary

/ Tractor would'nt start today #10  
Good timing with this post. :)

Daughter went out last night to spread horse poop. Came in and said the Kubota wouldn't start. It has been cold the last few days, but I have never had any trouble starting it before. I bundled up and out I went. You know what we discovered? The darn thing starts a whole lot easier if you put the HST lever in N.

Another problem solved. I am a genius. :)