Needing a transit/level.......any advice.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #1  

leeinmemphis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 5040 with FEL
I am needing a level for some grade work that I am going to be doing at the farm on some driveway/parking areas. I am only going to need it for a short time and then likely I won't hardly ever use it(although I may if I actually had one). Can you guys give me some suggestions on a brand/model? I use to have a sokkia but it ended up basically being stolen(long story) so I guess I am in the market for another one. I am seeing alot of Berger brand levels online and didn't know if that would be a better solution than the sokkia's or if there is another one I should check in to. I was hoping to only spend a minimum amount of money because I do not think it is something that I'll use every weekend. I have some grading work to do on a building area and am planning on putting a bridge in this year so as of now that is the only couple of projects that I could think of that I'ld use it on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #2  
I have the Berger 20X econo model and use a tripod to hold the stick. I purchased mine from Lowes @ four years ago, I find it works just fine for what I have done with it.
I'm not trying to make a livin with it so it does good my purpose.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #3  
The few times I needed one I just rent one for the weekend from the local rental store. Get's me a top of the line transit when I need it without busting the bank. You might check your local equipment rental stores and see if they have them.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #4  
Either rent one
or

Buy a laser one that can be outside (ok, it's technically a level and not a transit)
The laser ones are fabulous.
Set it up, let it run all day and just take your shots off your stick and get the right drainage
Use them inside, etc

They are under $500 now, I think it's the only way to go.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice.
I've been looking at a laser one made by dewalt that can be mounted on a tripod and used outdoors plus it uses the 18v dewalt batteries that I already have. I'm going to sleep on it but that may be the way I go because most of the time I am out there by myself so having a laser may be a good idea and in thinking about it I may actually use it more than I think I will. I'll probably sleep on it but I may just go on ahead and try to get something this week. Thanks again for all the advice everyone.

-lee-

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #6  
What is the price on the dewalt?

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #7  
I got to build a creek once (really, it was cool, a flood had washed it all away, so we had to go and level it and put big rocks in and make it flow slowly)
about 1000 feet long, only about 2 feet of total drop, about 10 to 20 feet wide.)
Anyway, always shot it with a transit, but I had a crew of 3, without that crew, no way.
A level just sitting there you could put your stick where you needed it, totally would have been the way to go.

If you were really smart, you could put a reflector on the bucket (a stick up), so you knew where you were.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #9  
$409?????????

Why are you even asking????
As long as you can see it in the sun, buy it.
And get a tripod and a stick.

well I am asking because I haven't used a level in years and was hoping for some first hand advice. To me $500 right now is alot because I am paying alot of money for a building to be built right now. I guess I may have to bite the bullet and just do it.