Mowing How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing?

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #1  

LSUalum

I'm shopping for a 25-35 hp tractor right now, where first priority will be mowing. I'm probably going with the R4s, but not sure if I am going to be too heavy for my yard. My yard is a sandy mix with bermudagrass.

1. What is the heaviest you would go? This tractor will also be used an all-purpose tractor for our small horse farm.

FYI, the range of weights I have seen in the tractors I have been shopping have been 2500 - 3500 lbs.

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #2  
I have a Kubota B7610 with a mid mount mower and R4 tires. I think it's less than 2000 pounds and it chews up the thin grass in my yard on sharp turns. I began to spread compost, overseed and fertelize to thicken up the grass and as long as I go slow and don't make sharp turns the dammage is now minimal. Thin grass in sand is very fragile for any tractor. You may want to look at a suspended mower deck. Kubota calls it a turf special. Sometimes the rollers on the ground following decks tear up fragile grass also. Turf tires might be a better choice depending on the other uses for your tractor.

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #3  
I think if you go with turf tires you might as well just buy it for mowing. He wants an all around tractor so I would at least go w/ R 4's..Check to see what your neighbors are using...

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing?
Just a little more info:

I have a Kubota L175 right now, which is super-light, but with narrow R1s it cuts up the yard unless it is bone-dry.
My neighbor has a John Deere 870 (2400 lbs) with a 6ft finishing mower and it does fairly well even with R1s (wider than mine).

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #5  
Depends a lot on the soil.
I mow my 6 acre lawn with a Kioti DK 35 (3600 lbs) , loaded R-4's tires (600+ lbs fluid) and a 7' rear finish mower.
Works out fine for mowing my lawn..

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #6  
I think the tires are more important than the weight. R4 tires on my JD 3720, which weighes 3500# with loaded rears (just the tractor) treads lightly even on my parents' nice lawn. It does not tread less lightly than their mower, unless it is really wet and even then not by much. With R1 tires, one will have to mow when it is quite dry to keep things from getting torn up badly. I would say you could safely go into a mid frame sized machine with R4's and be fine. I would not go with turfs as they really seem traction-limited in all but the most ideal situations.

John M

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #7  
I have to agree with jcmseven. I chose R4's for mine because I live in a really sandy area. I needed the traction from a bar tread type tire but i wanted a wider tire for good flotation in the sand. R4 fit the bill nicely. when im in 2wd i dont notice them tearing up the ground too bad. R4's are generally wider and have wider tread bars, both combined give tham alot more surface contact area to spread the weight out and not dig in real bad. I think the R4's also tend to have a higer load rating i believe. I wanted a wider tire on the front so when i loaded down the loader it wouldnt just sink in the sand like the skinny pizza cutter R1's would likely do.

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #8  
Could someone give me a link to a site that shows the difference in tires. All I know is my 8N has ag-bar tires on it. All this R1 and R4 stuff means nothing to me. I would like to understand what y'all are talking about.

My 8N with loaded tires is about 3500 pounds and mows just fine.

Pooh Bear

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing? #9  
R-1 is your traditional ag bar tire, and R-3 is a turf tire and a R-4 is an industrial type tread design.

This is an R4
TRAC%20CHIEF.jpg

An R-1
sgalsr.jpg

and a R-3
torc_trac.gif

/ How heavy is "too heavy" for mowing?
Basically, the R1 tire is what you would call a true Agriculture tire ( the type tires which came on any farm tractor). R4 are considered an Industrial tire ( almost the same tread style as the large skid steers, road graders, etc....., but larger.) R4s have a wider tread or "footprint" than R1s.
Turf tires are exactly what the name says,....made for turf or lawns. No deep tread, only a flat surface similiar to a very wide automobile tire.

Now, when you get into the larger farm tractors, there is even more options, like R2s, but the 3 mentioned above are the only options in compact tractors.

If you go to Kubota's website, I think they have all of the tires they offer.

Hope this helps...................