Grading Bulldozing With A Box Blade

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #41  
<font color=blue>Yikes!!! Clearly I should have said "heifer-dozing". </font color=blue>

"Don't have a cow, Man." ...Bart Simpson /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I'm not sure your walking path qualifies as "bulldozer" work, Harv. But without an adjustable toplink and a feather touch on the position control, it's hard to do fine finish work with a box blade. One of the things I use my box blade in reverse for is pushing brush piles into erosion gullys. My typical pile is 12 ft wide by 4 ft tall and I can do much better turning around and backing into the pile with my box blade than trying to push the load with the FEL. It's a steering thing. By turning around, I'm essentially steering with my "rear" tires and not creating lateral movement like when I'm pushing with the FEL. I may be courting disaster, but I use my boxblade as much in reverse as forward. My stabilizers on my lift arms are rigid and add additional support. If you "wham! bam! ram!" /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif with anything, it's gonna show some abuse. Sometimes, even when we are careful, things get broken. You just have to use your best judgement. I have found that lift arms can take a lot of stess. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #42  
I think we are having a failure to communicate--the term bulldozing being the culprit. I think what Harv asked and what I do, though we call it bulldozing, is nothing more than operating the boxblade in reverse in the same manner that it is used going forward, an operation that the blade was clearly designed for and even required with some type blades. Our tractors should be more than capable of handling this duty. J

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #43  
Harv,

Not sure you're gonna get mirror smooth results in reverse with the box blade. I find you need to constantly adjust the blade in order keep it from digging in... Of course, most of the reverse blading I've done has been in the process of cutting, so, my blade anlge was probably quite aggressive. With a flatter angle, you may be able to get some smooth results!?!? My smoothest grading comes with me going forward with a good amount of material in the box... <font color=green>Oh oh... Is this gonna turn into another box blade operation thread???</font color=green>/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Have fun!

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade
<font color=blue>I think we are having a failure to communicate--the term bulldozing being the culprit. </font color=blue>

Yeah, J, I think we've got at least two different trains of thought going on here, but I'm learning quite a bit anyway.
wink.gif

<font color=blue>Not sure you're gonna get mirror smooth results in reverse with the box blade.</font color=blue>

Could be, Billboe, but most of the fun is in the trying.
smile.gif

I'm heading up to the property tomorrow (Saturday) for the first time in nearly two months, so I might get a chance to experiment a little. I don't know if the ground has dried out enough for any serious box blading, but whatever I can do, I'll be sure to take pictures. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #45  
Good luck with the box blading Harv! We haven't had rain for the past week, but, things were pretty saturated!

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade
<font color=blue>We haven't had rain for the past week, but, things were pretty saturated! </font color=blue>

I'd forgotten you were a Northern Californian, too, Billboe.
smile.gif
My property is at about elevation 2,000 feet, outside of Sutter Creek. Are you anywhere near that area?

If it's too wet to boxblade, I'll still want to see how much of my property I can get to with my tractor this time of year. I fear the area just past my first culvert will once again be too mushy to drive through, but then I'm also curious to see if my culverts are even still there.
crazy.gif

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #47  
My boxblade is the swing back type. The only way I have found to use it for levelling is in reverse. If I weld to locks on it to lock the back solid then I could use it in forward for leveling. Like a conventional boxblade
This leads to a question--I think it is best for us beginners to purchase a standard box without a swinging back?
Also, I have had excellent results considereing my soil type leveling in reverse with my boxblade--excellent indeed.
J

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #48  
We're up the 80 corridor... About 1600 feet... Growing pretty fast around here... I've only driven through your area a couple time, but, it's great down there!

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #49  
"This leads to a question--I think it is best for us beginners to purchase a standard box without a swinging back?"

I have a more basic question...why would you want a box blade with a swinging back that you can't lock down? I don't get it...what good would it be if other than levelling sand?

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #50  
<font color=blue>why would you want a box blade with a swinging back that you can't lock down? I don't get it...what good would it be if other than levelling sand?</font color=blue>

I've never used a box blade with a swinging rear gate, but the theory implied in the Woods Box Blade brochure is that a swinging back allows you to take a more agressive bite in one pass when going forward (the rear edge does not interfere with the front edge cutting in). This would also agree with the fact that their swinging back models are rated for higher horsepower.

As for why you'd want a swinging one that was not lockable ... good question. Is the price much different? or does the design of some of them not lend itself well to locking?

John