Grading Bulldozing With A Box Blade

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
On another thread, Greg H. explained how he uses his box blade in reverse to achieve some high quality grading effects.

I have used my own box blade this way only a few times, usually just to push a small pile of spoils out of the way or something. Greg's point about going backwards is that this keeps the tractor itself on the already graded part, thus producing a flatter, smoother result. Makes sense to me. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

My concern, however, is the strain this puts on the 3-pt, especially when you run into the inevitable immovable rock or hidden stump.
crazy.gif
Those linkages are clearly made for some robust lifting, but when it comes to head-on (tail-on?) collisions, they don't strike me as being up to the challenge.

Any thoughts/experiences?

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #2  
Harv, I've got a lousy memory for finding some of the old threads, or remembering who posted them, but didn't someone recently post a message and pictures of a bent lower link from pushing against something with one end of his box blade? I'd be a little cautious about putting all the pressure on one end of the blade, and of course, I wouldn't want to get a run at something and slam into it, but I've never worried about pushing as hard as the tractor could with the load reasonably centered. And so far, I've never damaged anything, but maybe I've just been lucky./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif There's no doubt that those lower links can stand more pressure pulling than they can pushing.

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #3  
Harv

Awhile back, I was filling in and leveling an area on my property. The project called for alot of dirt to be moved and filled in on the down-slope side of the project.

Pushing the uncompacted dirt with the box blade worked very well to enlarge the level area. The rear tires were able to reach the edge of the fill, compacting the dirt.

Like you, I have pushed dirt backwards to fill small spots but I do not find that backwards bulldozing works very well for larger areas and general leveling. Seems the blade, sooner or later, will either dig down and the wheels begin to spin ruining what you have already done or the blade bucks up over a rock or other obstruction. Just don't think you have the control you need.

I second your concerns about the strength of the three-point. It does not appear to be designed to take such forces.

Rick

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #4  
Some may disagree but I think this is one reason for NOT having too much traction ie loading your tires etc. The way I look at it is I'll lose traction and spin the tires before I break/bend something - kind of like a shear bolt! Besides, when doing what he described you're going pretty slow. I've done what he described and hit rocks. I'll just lose traction - haven't bent any arms yet and if I bend a top link that's only $20. Even dozer operate that way - if they hit an imovable object they just spin the treads!

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #5  
Harv,

Not sure that I see a difference between running a boxblade backwords as a bulldozer or running a blade backwards as a bulldozer....and aren't blades designed to do this (ie swing 360 degrees to allow you to push backwards). A good solid blade will transfer the "hit" to the 3ph as much as a box blade I would think. Aren't "blades" in general and 3ph's designed to handle this??

I certainly agree with the other opinions that my B2410 would stop and spin long before I would expect any cracking or damage to the link arms.

Just my $0.02.

Kevin

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #6  
I've hit a lot of stumps and trees with mine - hard enough to shake my teeth and done no damage to the tractor - I don't think we need to worry too much about the occasional "oops what was that hit!" When backing up we ain't going that fast anyway - at least I'm not.
mike

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #7  
I bulldoze backwards with both of mine a lot. I find it very effective and especially with the swing back type boxblades it really is the only way to do leveling work also. For bulldozing I use the box approximately flat or angled down to the rear slightly and for leveling and smoothing I I tilt the aft end of the box upwards so that it rides on the inner blade. Swing back type do not work well in forward motion for this use since the rear blade just swings out of the way.
I would really think the tractors are made for working in both directions and if they were so flimsy and weak I would be dissappointed and think broken 3-points would be common. It's a tractor, it is meant to be worked, that is it's only purpose.
J

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #8  
Harv,

I suppose the same question would apply to using a dirt scoop.. you back into the pile, raise, and drive away. The backing in part might be risky, eh?

Bob

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #9  
Harv,
Your concerns are warranted. I've even bent the three point arms on big tractors from doing the very same thing you are talking about. Yes the three point arms are very strong but were made lifting and not for bulldozing. They may hold up to it for awhile but eventually and with use they will give. Just take a look at the arms on a loader or a bulldozer blade for that matter and then take a look at your three point arms and make your own analysis of whether or not the three point arms were made for bulldozing type work.

/ Bulldozing With A Box Blade #10  
Harv, I have never used a compact tractor but over the years I have used ag tractors like ford 3000, 3600, 4000, etc. to do this very thing. I have RAMMED 5' and 6' box blades into stumps, pipes, poles, and rocks. The only thing to fail was a broken lower link pin and a slightly bent but usable CAT 2 top link. I am not saying this is good practice /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif and i am not sure how sturdy the 3pt is on compacts, but I will continue to 'bulldoze'. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif