TRACTOR HEATER

/ TRACTOR HEATER #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was wondering, is it wise to run a radiator hose heater for a tractor on a timer and let it go on for a couple hours every day or just use the heater when you plan on using the tractor.
I keep the timer running and let it go on for 2 hours each morning, not knowing when I might use it for snow removal.

/ TRACTOR HEATER #2  
Really no benefits to using it except when you want to start the tractor and use it.

/ TRACTOR HEATER #3  
Running the heater frequently will also probably shorten its life. Engine block heaters from an engineering standpoint have a finite number of useable hours. The more it is used, the shorter the overall lifespan.
As cowboydoc says, just use when needed. Even if run for 1 hour will help.

/ TRACTOR HEATER #4  
What may be a better way would be to leave the heater plugged into a x-10 module that you could activate from the house.You could turn on the heater when you needed it from the comfort of your home while you are getting your warm clothes on. There is another thread on that product started already.

/ TRACTOR HEATER #5  
I don't think that is a good idea. I would not routinely warm up the block and then allow it to cool. I would think that this would allow condensation to form over and over again causing rusting in the exhaust and cylinders. Just my 2 cents.

/ TRACTOR HEATER #6  
<font color=blue>I don't think that is a good idea. I would not routinely warm up the block and then allow it to cool. I would think that this would allow condensation to form over and over again causing rusting in the exhaust and cylinders.</font color=blue>

That's exactly what happens to piston aircraft engines. Many of those in colder climates have plug-in preheaters to reduce wear and tear on the engine from a cold start. Of course, most of those are air-cooled engines, which could be a different animal altogether.

/ TRACTOR HEATER #7  
i would just plug it in when u need it. don't seem wise to do it any other way.