What size beam do I need?

/ What size beam do I need? #21  
I have been in Mr.Jimi's garage and it isn't as messy as that picture makes it look!
He must have turned the skidsteer the wrong way the last time he drove it and turned some things over.
Now my garage... that's a different story.
David from jax

/ What size beam do I need? #22  
sandman2234 said:
I have been in Mr.Jimi's garage and it isn't as messy as that picture makes it look!
He must have turned the skidsteer the wrong way the last time he drove it and turned some things over.
Now my garage... that's a different story.
David from jax

I have been to Dave's garage and he has a little less room to walk than I do, LOL
When ya coming over again Dave, Lorraine has this week off and we are laying 3/4 plywood down for our second floor we bought at LOWE'S !! for the second time, I know your on a tight schedule but we will be looking for you this weekend
Jim:)

/ What size beam do I need? #23  
MrJimi said:
I know your on a tight schedule but we will be looking for you this weekend

When he is done, please pack him a lunch to go (something easy to eat while driving) so he won't lose time coming over to my place to help with the Pergo type floor intall and a few dozen little "it will only take 5 min and you won't need tools" type jobs.

When I was doing field service engineering I learned to shudder and or hide when I heard a job would only take 5 minutes and you won't even need tools. Typically that meant you'd be a couple days, use every tool you had or could borrow and needed a helper or two.

Pat

/ What size beam do I need? #24  
Nothing like finding a post like this a week late...
David from jax

/ What size beam do I need? #25  
sandman2234 said:
Nothing like finding a post like this a week late...
David from jax

Dave, I did look for you, I have more floor now, the second floor is up and getting filled quick. I have too much stuff LOL :D

/ What size beam do I need? #26  
I am still waiting on Mr Jimi to pack that lunch for me before I head for Oklahoma!
David from jax

/ What size beam do I need? #27  
sandman2234 said:
I am still waiting on Mr Jimi to pack that lunch for me before I head for Oklahoma!
David from jax

Well, the laminate floor is in and the railing around the raised dais is completed and painted but there are still a jillion things to do. I took two days off and bought a truck but am back at it now. Managed to build a scrap lumber storage rack to get some scraps out of the way on the passenger side of the parking spot in the garage for the Prius. Wife is much happier when not dodging debris.

I could sure use the help finishing the steel plate interior storm shutters. They are heavy and inconvenient to haul back and forth between the shop and bedroom for trial fits and such. I'm not a good metal worker and have to go slow and back up to fix errors every once in while. Understanding, predicting, and preventing heat distortion in steel welded assemblies seems to elude me. I got the bathroom window shutters hung and working satisfactorily and they are more complicated than the ones for the bedroom as they are bifold style.

Pat

Pat

/ What size beam do I need? #28  
rutwad said:
I have ran into two situartions recently where a couple of short beams could have really helped me out. And I figure I will find myself in a similiar situation again.

What size steel beam would I need for a 14000 lb ASV RC100 to cross a 6' span. The ASV's track is 6' on the ground. Anybody know how to figure what it would take?

I may not know a thing about excavators, but I do structural engineering for a living. You don't need much of a beam to do that job. A W6x9 is OK structurally, but only 4" wid and seems like it would be quite unstable. A W5x15 would be a better choice at 130 lbs each. 8x12 fir timbers laid on their side would also do the job with a bit more stability, and would weigh around 200 lbs each. Just put an eyebolt and short piece of chain between the two and you can quickly drop them over the obstacle with a hook on the bucket.