Grading Box Blade Question

/ Box Blade Question #1  

ExpediteMike

Got my new (100 hr used Kubota L7800 /FEL) and will need to buy a box blade to grade gravel driveway. This is my first tractor and I have seen box blades in use but of course never used one. My question is when you grade am I right to assume you remove the shanks? Is the KingKutter sold at Tractor Supply good enough for use around the house with small gravel, dirt,
sand? And the biggest question of all, can anyone give me some advise as to how to usethe box blade more than the obvious, you pull it along behind the tractor. As you can tell, I am a real "newbie". Any advise will be appreciated:)

/ Box Blade Question #2  
I have a 5ft KK BB on my B7800. When grading the drive, All I have to do is raise the shanks so they are not in contact with the ground. If you wanted to remove them though, it doesn't take more than a minute or so. To me, the BB is not something that you will be able to use efficiently the first time you try. It is going to take some practice, so don't get discouraged with your initial results. The only thing that I wish the KK BB had is a little more weight, but for the price I am happy with it.

/ Box Blade Question #3  
If I'm not looking to get to aggressive, I just flip the rippers over. Keeps them with the box blade wherever I might park it.

As far as the KK, don't have one but from what I've seen posted here, they are a fair value. Doesn't sound like you need anything super heavy duty.

Your last question has been one passed down through the ages. There is way more to using a box blade that just dragging it behind you. Angle and tilt will provide different results in different soils. The only way to really get good is to practice. Guage wheels are something used to give a good smooth finish and a search (of this site) should provide you may ideas how to add some to your attachement.

/ Box Blade Question #4  
Box blades are tricky
Go slow
expect to do a lot of hand movement.
The wheels are the way to a really nice finish, but it's not impossible without them.

/ Box Blade Question
Thanks for the good info so far. Just wondering, would a blade on back the the tractor work as well as a box blade to grade/spread small gravel and dirt?

/ Box Blade Question #8  
ExpediteMike said:
Thanks for the good info so far. Just wondering, would a blade on back the the tractor work as well as a box blade to grade/spread small gravel and dirt?
There is a place for both. If all you're doing is smoothing the grader blade works well. If you're dealing with a wash out and need to move gravel from say the bottom of a grade back to the top and fill ruts as you go then I like the BB.

As far as which one to buy be sure to match up the HP rating. You don't want to be at the upper extreme. In other words if you're in doubt as to if it's heavy duty enough or not go one model up. You won't regret it. I went from a 2WD Ford 2000 (about 35 HP) to a 4WD JD 4710 (48 HP). Needless to say it wasn't long before I was upgrading all of my attachments after I destroyed them because they weren't built to take that much traction and power.:eek:

/ Box Blade Question
Thanks "Partsman". First use will be grading gravel on new driveway after the dump truck spreads it as he unloads it.

/ Box Blade Question #10  
ExpediteMike said:
Thanks "Partsman". First use will be grading gravel on new driveway after the dump truck spreads it as he unloads it.

I agree with Partsman2 and would go with a rear blade for this project. Jay