Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Box Blade Question

Got my new (100 hr used kubota L7800 /FEL) and will need to buy a box blade to grade gravel driveway. This is my first tractor and I have seen box blades in use but of course never used one. My question is when you grade am I right to assume you remove the shanks? Is the KingKutter sold at Tractor Supply good enough for use around the house with small gravel, dirt,
    sand? And the biggest question of all, can anyone give me some advise as to how to usethe box blade more than the obvious, you pull it along behind the tractor. As you can tell, I am a real "newbie". Any advise will be appreciated

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    B7800

Default Re: Box Blade Question

I have a 5ft KK BB on my B7800. When grading the drive, All I have to do is raise the shanks so they are not in contact with the ground. If you wanted to remove them though, it doesn't take more than a minute or so. To me, the BB is not something that you will be able to use efficiently the first time you try. It is going to take some practice, so don't get discouraged with your initial results. The only thing that I wish the KK BB had is a little more weight, but for the price I am happy with it.

Tractor
    TC33D

If I'm not looking to get to aggressive, I just flip the rippers over. Keeps them with the box blade wherever I might park it.

As far as the KK, don't have one but from what I've seen posted here, they are a fair value. Doesn't sound like you need anything super heavy duty.

Your last question has been one passed down through the ages. There is way more to using a box blade that just dragging it behind you. Angle and tilt will provide different results in different soils. The only way to really get good is to practice. Guage wheels are something used to give a good smooth finish and a search (of this site) should provide you may ideas how to add some to your attachement.
    Make welfare as hard to get as a building permit

Veteran Member

Box blades are tricky
    Go slow
    expect to do a lot of hand movement.
    The wheels are the way to a really nice finish, but it's not impossible without them.

Tractor
    JD 4310 eHydro, Mid/Rear PTO,T'N'T, 3rd SCV

Read this thread before you purchase, it will assist you to make a quality decision.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...tml#post663881

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer
    Read this thread before you purchase, it will assist you to make a quality decision.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...tml#post663881

WoW !! that is one great thread, thanks for the link
    Jim
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Thanks for the good info so far. Just wondering, would a blade on back the the tractor work as well as a box blade to grade/spread small gravel and dirt?

Tractor
    2003 John Deere 4710 - 2004 Kubota BX2230 - 2006 Kubota RTV-900

Quote Originally Posted by ExpediteMike
    Thanks for the good info so far. Just wondering, would a blade on back the the tractor work as well as a box blade to grade/spread small gravel and dirt?
    There is a place for both. If all you're doing is smoothing the grader blade works well. If you're dealing with a wash out and need to move gravel from say the bottom of a grade back to the top and fill ruts as you go then I like the BB.

As far as which one to buy be sure to match up the HP rating. You don't want to be at the upper extreme. In other words if you're in doubt as to if it's heavy duty enough or not go one model up. You won't regret it. I went from a 2WD Ford 2000 (about 35 HP) to a 4WD JD 4710 (48 HP). Needless to say it wasn't long before I was upgrading all of my attachments after I destroyed them because they weren't built to take that much traction and power.
    Work smart - not hard!

Thanks "Partsman". First use will be grading gravel on new driveway after the dump truck spreads it as he unloads it.

Tractor
    New Holland TC29DA, John Deere 455D

Quote Originally Posted by ExpediteMike
    Thanks "Partsman". First use will be grading gravel on new driveway after the dump truck spreads it as he unloads it.
    I agree with Partsman2 and would go with a rear blade for this project. Jay

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast