anyone use a lojack type recovery system?

/ anyone use a lojack type recovery system? #1  

kossetx

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC 40 A, AC 5020
I see more and more tractors and other stuff being stolen from weekend places around my area nowadays. Anyone use a tracking system on their vehicles? Opinions? Can the be disabled? Are they small enough to hide without being detected? I emailed lojack for a cost but they just sent an e-broshure. How much is it. Is it better to just have insurance?

Any thoughts appreciated. MP

/ anyone use a lojack type recovery system? #2  
Well I have the lojack tracking computer in my police car and opted for the insurance instead for my tractor. Reason being is that lojack requires 12volts and has to be hid somewhere on the vehicle. Much easier on a car or a big piece of equipment. Yes the lojack will run for a while if the battery is disconnected on its own battery power, but if the thief finds the transmitter its done for. I do like lojack, but for a CUT I feel wiser just insuring it and keeping it locked up.

Darrin

/ anyone use a lojack type recovery system?
Knowing that thieves usually overcome all obsticals I was thinking insurence was the best buffer. Thanks for afirming that.

/ anyone use a lojack type recovery system? #4  
I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking at getting Lojack for my tractor as well. Originally, the ruggedized unit is about $800 installed, with no additional monthly fees, but we are buying a lot of units for my job, so I'll get a discount. From what I'm told, the installers are very good at hiding the units, and will paint them to match the surrounding area, even if that means putting grease, scratches, etc on them. I don't know what the standby time is, but once the unit is activated (you report it stolen, Lojack sends a ping to the unit, then it starts to send out it's signal) it is supposed to run for at least a week, even if the battery is removed from the tractor. The unit itself contains a backup battery. I know it's not a guarantee that you'll get the tractor back, but it will also lower your insurance rate, and may help catch the thieves. One of my pet peeves about insurance alone is that you may get your money, but basically the thieves get away and will do the same thing to someone else. If I can pay $600 or so to possibly get my almost $20,000 equipment back and put some thieves behind bars, it sounds like a good investment to me. Just my 2 cents.

/ anyone use a lojack type recovery system? #5  
Have you considered a GPS-type recovery system? LoJack only works in very limited areas where the local police have the equipment to track the signal coming from your unit. GPS systems allow you to track in real-time over the internet on a much more broader coverage area. You can also set notifications such as if the unit has left a certain prescribed area or has been moved at all. Either way, expect to pay $500+ with installation and each one has yearly/monthly service fees. Some GPS tracking companies allow you to pay as you go, so you would only pay on a per-use basis (something like $.25 a ping).

/ anyone use a lojack type recovery system? #6  
I decided against GPS because it's line of site to the satellites. While the unit is out in the open, it's easy to track, but if it gets put into a metal building, the gps is useless and the only way you'll find it is if you can convince the bad guys to let the cops look in their building without a warrant, or you do it yourself. The Lojack was priced at about $500, including installation, and has no monthly or yearly fees, and you aren't charged if you have to activate it (report it stolen.) They also suggest having it checked every 3 years, which costs $75 and includes them coming out, testing the unit, and replacing the built in backup battery. All 3 types of units have their ups and downs, but for me, Lojack seems to be the best one.

GPS offers more precise tracking, and doesn't rely on towers, but doesn't work under heavy cover or buildings.

Cellular types offer cheaper service, will work in some buildings and under some cover, but don't work if there aren't cellular towers in the area, which is true in my case.

Radio Frequency (Lojack) works under heavy cover and in buildings, offers better coverage than cellular (basically, if a pager will work in your area, so will Lojack), but isn't as precise as GPS and requires the police department to have the tracking equipment. In my case, the local PDs average one tracking device for every 4-5 cars, so I'm pretty confident.

To each his own, Lojack just seems to be a better fit for me.

/ anyone use a lojack type recovery system? #7  
I've met with a Rep for Lojack, and have all of the info now, if anyone has any specific questions they want answered.