Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work?

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
Had an idea yesterday for an easy way to hook up attachments, but since I haven't yet bought my tractor I don't have a way to try it out. I'd be curious to hear if anyone uses this or if you think it will work.

Idea is simple: when you lower and detach an implement, before driving away mark exactly where the tractor was positioned, ideally by using big chocks behind the rear wheels that you can just leave in place until you want to use the attachment again. Then, to hook it back up, just back into the wheel chocks and when you lower the 3ph arms they should be spot on to hook up to the attachment. I do realize that:
-you will need really big wheel chocks to avoid the tractor pushing them or driving over them
-this will work far better on something flat and level like a concrete pad than on uneven dirt

So, does anyone use this method? Any idea where I can get really big wheel chocks?

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #2  
IMO; will not work; deluxe 3 point systems that allow arms to move independantly make the job as easy as possible. Everyone has more than one implement,it is not as hard as you may have heard.

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #3  
I would think it would be very helpful to be positioned in the same location each time. In general you get used to it, but stops would certainly help. But, as mentioned in the post before. Its not too hard once you get used to it and particularly if you have Pat's easy change or some other helpful accessories.

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #4  
And some folks have theirs on a dolly on concrete floor. Park tractor and wheel implement up to it.

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #5  
Put everything on dollies on concrete floors. Easiest way.

On dirt, set implement down on 1 or 2bys(1bys are probably a little slippery) parallel with tractor track. They will allow some sliding of the implement, if it isn't TOO heavy.

Ralph

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #6  
Yep, mine are all on dollies. I can hook up or unhook very easily and quickly this way. And my cement floor is anything but nice and level, still works fine!

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #7  
Roxy, how did you make your dollies?? I was thinking of same thing for after I build my shed with concrete floor.

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #8  
for those of us on dirt floors, putting 4x4's & 2x4's under the implement so it is level helps a lot. Then connect the non-adjustable arm first, then the top link then the adjustable arm. Then PTO and adjust it for level and tilt. Getting a 5' or 6' steel pry bar to give a gentle nudge is often needed.

jb

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #9  
Z-Michigan said:
Had an idea yesterday for an easy way to hook up attachments, but since I haven't yet bought my tractor I don't have a way to try it out. I'd be curious to hear if anyone uses this or if you think it will work.

Idea is simple: when you lower and detach an implement, before driving away mark exactly where the tractor was positioned, ideally by using big chocks behind the rear wheels that you can just leave in place until you want to use the attachment again. Then, to hook it back up, just back into the wheel chocks and when you lower the 3ph arms they should be spot on to hook up to the attachment. I do realize that:
-you will need really big wheel chocks to avoid the tractor pushing them or driving over them
-this will work far better on something flat and level like a concrete pad than on uneven dirt

So, does anyone use this method? Any idea where I can get really big wheel chocks?

This could work, but once you get your tractor you'll probably find that it's not necessary. A bit of practice and you'll be able to eyeball where you need to be. All of my implements sit on gravel and it's become second nature to back up in the right place.

I did see a similar idea in practice though. At our old house we had a tree moved for an addition. The guy showed up with a large, tandem axle tree spade. First order of business was to dig the new hole. Once he got his rig in place, he drove a stake at each rear wheel on the left side. After digging the tree, it was a simple matter of backing up right along those stakes and he was perfectly placed to drop the tree into the hole. Pretty slick, I thought.

No reason you couldn't do that with your tractor but again, you'll probably find that you don't need to after a while.

/ Idea to make hooking up 3ph attachments easier - would this work? #10  
Z-Michigan said:

On a concrete pad, substitute dolly for chocks and you're golden