Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS.....

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #1  

bill6

Silver Member
Last August I bought a brand new Mahindra 3215 G. It's a turbocharged, sturdy workhorse made in Japan by Mitsubishi. I also have an airplane (Cessna, 28 mpg) 2006 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder (41 mpg) and a 2005 Honda Insight (88 mpg). I'm not sure of the gas mileage on the tractor, but my friends tease me, accusing me of over inflating the tires trying to increase my fuel economy. (it burns about 1/2 gph of diesel at 1900 rpm)

Anyway, I spend alot of time cleaning and waxing the tractor. Even after 90 hrs of use, it is so clean, I almost hesitate to use it for fear of getting it dirty. But there's lots of work to do; box blading, moving piles of rocks, spreading gravel, disking the field. So, I work it fairly hard, but then it takes me HOURS to clean and re-polish it.

I remove all 4 wheels and wax the backside of the wheels, and put rubber tire dressing (the wet look) on them. I wipe down the entire underside. I remove the floor deck mat, and wax the steel deck. The whole FEL gets wiped down & waxed. The toothbar gets touch-up paint to keep it beautiful.

The machine is kept in a heated garage. I did my own 50-hr service and spent 6 hours on it. High-end synthetic fluids all the way around.

The wife says I should sleep out in the garage with it. And 3 nights ago, she reports, I was mumbling tractors in my sleep.

I'm comparing prices & features of 72" finish mowers; nearly ready to buy. The last 2 nights I was dreaming of pulling a Bush Hog RDTH 72, and getting a wonderful cut on the green grass!

My airplane is being somewhat neglected, I daydream of tractors while at my desk at work, and close friends say I seem distracted or occupied. What's wrong with me, anyone know??

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #2  
Yes! Definitely!! Sleep with it.

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #3  
I guess I'd be more inclined to give that kind of attention to the airplane. If the tractor stops, you don't have a few thousand feet to drop!

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #4  
   / Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS.....
Hi Nosliw: No typo. Over the years, I've owned 3 Honda Insights (2001,2003,2005) and each one averaged between 85-90 mpg. On long freeway trips, I get 95-105 mpg. The car is designed from the ground up, for high fuel economy. Just put more air in the tires, and slow down a little; then it remains in lean-burn mode. It's a fantastic car!

My Mahindra (Mitsubishi diesel) engine is even more efficient than the 1.0 liter gas motor in my Honda.....

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #6  
I'm guessing your mpg ratings are taken downhill and downwind???

But the big question is,,,What are you getting your tractor for valentine's day?

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #7  
that just blows my mind. :eek:

and i was all giddy when my duramax diesel pickup reached 22mpg :D

very cool man. i was thinking about a VW TDI for a while but if the insights get THAT much better economy i'll get one of those.

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #8  
bill6,
You are a sick man...
But no more than the rest of us regarding tractors, I guess.
But the cleaning and waxing and washing ... LOL ...jeez that's overboard!
I agree with your wife.:)

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #9  
bill,

i did the math real quick and estimated that you can come over to my side of the state and show me that gas-sipper in person for a little over $5.00

:D

/ Oh no, I think I have TRACTOR-ITIS..... #10  
I must confess that I do wash my tractor and wax it, periodically. Not quite that much. But there is a good reason it gives one a chance to see if you have damaged something. And I paint my loader bucket as well. So, I guess you have given a descriptive name to the disease. LOL
Who knows, one day we might go to the Dr and he will say you have TRACTOR-ITIS.