R4's are USELESS!

/ R4's are USELESS! #121  
Doc:

I will repeat what you have probably already thought about yourself. The R4s are a compromise for your situation and are probably the best choice. But, this depends on how wet the dirt under your lawn and on your house site will be. I mowed with R1s in WV, but tried to mow when the ground was firm and tried to not follow the same tracks. Remember that the surface of the grass will be cut smooth, even if the ground underneath is a little rough. Get R1s if you have lots of muddy ground, heavy snow, and are not a lawn fanatic. You can get chains for the R4s if you have lots of deep snow (although some here say they work OK without) and would be necessary for any tire if you get a lot of ice. R3s work OK for dirt work if it isn't real wet, and can be improved if you fill them (they hold a lot of volume), balast the tractor, and get chains for snow.

Steve

/ R4's are USELESS! #122  
I recently switched from R1 to R4's. I also added an FEL. I only use my tractor on dry sandy soil. In mud or snow I am sure results would not be the same. I have found as good or better traction with R4's, than I had with R1's. I find that low speed and low gearing also reduce wheel spin for me. The lower the better. More rubber on the ground and more edges on the tire, I believe, give more traction on dry ground.
Harold

/ R4's are USELESS! #123  
R1s used to tear up our turf badly so this rig we tried the R4s which are much more forgiving to the turf. We're satisfied and we've used them in the snow.

R4s, worthless, I think not, sounds like they just don't fit your application.

/ R4's are USELESS! #124  
Since your tractor will eventually be used mostly for mowing, you should get turf tires. R4's provide only slightly better traction than turfs off the lawn, and adding a set of chains to your turfs will probably give better traction than R4's.

/ R4's are USELESS! #125  
If your tires are not loaded yet, do your self a favor and get them loaded with beet juice ( we use it here in mid-Michigan instead of calcium chloride). And then use the proper tire pressure, to get the R4 bars fully making contact. We use R4's on my brothers new JD 4520 4x4 FEL and we love them. Plowing snow, in soft soil, even pulled a 4 row no-till White planter last spring, NO PROBLEM. Yes the tires are loaded all the way around on it with beet juice. Need the weight to get the horsepower to hook up. Granted it is not a farm tractor, but it wil do alot of things asked of it.

/ R4's are USELESS! #127  
LBrown59 said:
Hellow P R
Where ya been keepin your self?
Haven't see ya around for a while.

He's out hot-air ballooning...:D

Check his avatar...:D

/ R4's are USELESS! #128  
PaulChristenson said:
He's out hot-air ballooning...:D

Check his avatar...:D

The wife's been saying I'm full of hot air for years, now she can prove it... :rolleyes: