R4's are USELESS!

/ R4's are USELESS! #1  

Deadman

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, X475
I just bought a JD 2520 with R4's and it has far less traction that my little 2210 had with Bar tires on it. These R4's are just absolutely useless, I'm hoping there is a reasonable solution to get me a set of Bar tires.....any suggestions? Rears only.

/ R4's are USELESS! #2  
R4's are not useless. They just may not be right for your application and usage. Plenty of people have R4's and use them in soft sand and soil and snow. You obviously require R1's and you are probably going to have to spend some cash to get what you need.

Your other alternative is to get a set of chains. Should cost under $300 which is cheaper than new tires.

/ R4's are USELESS! #3  
Do you have fluid in the rear tires if not that will help? Along with lower air presure.

/ R4's are USELESS! #4  
Deadman said:
I just bought a JD 2520 with R4's and it has far less traction that my little 2210 had with Bar tires on it. These R4's are just absolutely useless, I'm hoping there is a reasonable solution to get me a set of Bar tires.....any suggestions? Rears only.

Deadman...The R4's on my 2320 had a hard time gaining any traction in the snow, sleet and ice we got in Maryland yeasterday. I actually got stuck pretty good. I went to my local JD dealer and bought some tire chains. They only had the front chains in stock, I took those home and ordered the rear chains. Once I got the chains on the front I was able to get out. The R4's load up with snow and mud pretty fast and do not clean out easily. The chains really made a big difference.

I had 2 cub cadet sub-cuts (very similar to the 2210) with bar tires, they were great (the tires not the cub tractors). Get yourself some chains from your dealer or another place I found was tirechains.com

I paid $240 for all 4 chains. I think replacing the R4's with R1's would cost more, you may even need different rims making the whole thing even more expensive.

/ R4's are USELESS! #5  
Deadman said:

Fluid and Ballast Box will help for loader work; but if traction is an issue for ground engagement you are "RIGHT ON!" However, the front R-4's absorb loader weight better than R-1's, with their wider footprilnt. I have a Kubota L2800 with a loader, and I leave it in 4WD full time with my R-4's, because of lack of traction! The small comprise, is a "smoother ride" on a hard surface!? I have several tractors, and the others have R-1's. Also with R-1's with adjustable rear wheels; you can reduce the "pucker factor" if you have slopes? It would be nice to have both; and maybe pricey to trade out? The R-4's in Northern Calif. cost about $400 more than R-1's. Hope this helps?

/ R4's are USELESS! #6  
DEADMAN: If you purchased the tractor new or used from a dealer, that would be your best option to get R-1's. Someone recently on this site had the same problem with his JD, and do a search here for his solution? I think he traded back with his dealer, and the dealer traded with another customer, that had purchased a JD with R-1's, but wanted R-4's? You will need new wheels for the R-1's, I think, and if your tractor is 4WD, also a set for the front, to keep the gear ratios correct from front to rear?? There is also tractor "salvage yards" that may have the correct size wheels, if all else fails?

/ R4's are USELESS! #7  
R4 (Industrial) tires are not useless. They are a "compromise" tire as I see it. They have better traction than R3 (Turf) tires but poorer traction than R1 (Agricultural) tires. They have a better ride than R1s but worse than Turfs. They don't tear up the turf as much as Ag tires do but more so than turfs do. Depends on your application and needs as well as terrain and ground conditions. I like R4s. I think they are a good all-around tire. If you're doing some serious ground-engagement applications though you may require R1s. But they certainly aren't worthless. They don't put them on virtually ALL heavy construction machinery for nothin'.

For the record, I have R1 (Ags) on my tractor. I considered R4s but to get them I had to change the rims, buy more expensive tires, and re-calibrate the speedometer for the different ratio.

/ R4's are USELESS! #8  
I would have to agree with the others that R4's are not useless. They have their place and what you are trying to use them for is not one of them. Sounds like you got the wrong tires when you got your tractor, it's not the tires fault. Cheapest thing to do is buy some tire chains. Tire chains alone may be all you need. Next you can fill your tires to increase the weight. Personally I would probably leave the R4's on the front as was previously stated, wider and more stable. If you really need a Ag tire then go with the R1's. This will be the most expensive way to go but will also be the best traction.

/ R4's are USELESS! #9  
Just a bit of advice if you get chains, go with the 2 link instead of the 4 link, especially for R1's. The 4 link ride down in your tread and the bars on the tire do more work than the chains. The 2 link will also give you a smoother ride.

/ R4's are USELESS! #10  
A question to all,

How do you compare R3 with chain and R4 with chain. I have the same issue as Deadman has with his R4's. Wondering if a set of chain is half way decent option for traction using bottom buster, single bottom plow and a tiller and R3 tire. Thanks.