PTO Generator and PTO shutoff

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #11  
Maybe every tractor should come with a free factory trained operator.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #12  
LarryD said:
I can't speak for all the NH Boomers, but the 33D runs the PTO without the driver in the seat. The unit has to be in nuetral and the breaks locked for the engine to keep running.

I can think of several implements (chipper, log splitter, generator) that require the operator to be off the tractor. Doesn't JD sell implements like this?:confused:

New HOlland's work like this, MF's don't, and lots of others don't.
Put like a 25lb dumbell on the seat

or, stop dealing with a stupid switch, cut it off, wire it together and put a cover over the wires (so they don't get in the weather)
works great.
stupid, I hated the switch, always failed in cold weather. Not anymore. ;)

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #13  
It is probably best, if someone is going to rewire to over-ride seat, parking brake, reverse sense, just about any safety switch, that they do it right. OK, no right way to over-ride a safety, but I would suggest installing waterproof, lit switches right on the dash. That way the operator can see if the safety has been over-ridden or not, and has the option to turn on or off.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #14  
i would call it bad desiign if you can't get off the seat and leave the PTO running. None of my New Hollands or Fords have ever been that way. Why would John Deere design a tractor that way? Obviously the engineers who did it are not tractor users. I'd keep bugging John Deere until they fixed this obvious design flaw.

Andy

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #15  
unit40 said:
It is probably best, if someone is going to rewire to over-ride seat, parking brake, reverse sense, just about any safety switch, that they do it right. OK, no right way to over-ride a safety, but I would suggest installing waterproof, lit switches right on the dash. That way the operator can see if the safety has been over-ridden or not, and has the option to turn on or off.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Kind of like when you use the key to shut off the passenger side airbags in the car/truck.

I bypassed the seat pressure switch on my tractor, not because of the PTO issue but because when using the BH I often need to leave the seat. I have it in neutral, but do not have the parking brake set because I use the BH to move the tractor while digging.

Good God! Thats right, I BYPASSED a safety feature! Here come the safety police!

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #16  
AndyMA said:
i would call it bad desiign if you can't get off the seat and leave the PTO running. None of my New Hollands or Fords have ever been that way. Why would John Deere design a tractor that way? Obviously the engineers who did it are not tractor users. I'd keep bugging John Deere until they fixed this obvious design flaw.

Andy

My ex-NH 1920 had no op presence switch.. neither does my NH 7610s... I like it that way...

Soundguy

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff
I will test the PTO operation this afternoon/evening. It appears as though I'll be getting plenty of seat time over the next few days (blizzard).
I have no intention of overriding any safety features. There isn't a single flat spot on my property and it gets pretty hairy brush hogging sometimes so I want every safety feature working as designed.
I did buy the economy model and don't regret it, although steering brakes do sound cool. If I have to weight the seat down I'll do that, but otherwise I want the seat switch working properly.
I'll let you know.

Thanks
Matt

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #18  
George2615 said:
NOTE: The Rear PTO is only operational with the operator on the seat.

Roy found the answer. The seat switch interlock is for your safety. The switch can be jumped out but then you lose the safety feature. A spinning PTO can grab loose clothing or practically anything that gets near it. Every tractor is different. Mine does not have any seat switch interlock. It seems your only choices to run your PTO generator are to use the bag of sand or some form of weight on the seat or bypass the seat switch.

A good job for the wife ?

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #19  
My tractor wouldn't allow me to run my post driver without someone being in the seat. What I did was splice in a push button switch and mount it under the seat on a piece of aluminum angle. When I need to run the driver, I push the button. When I am done, I push it again to return power to the operator presence switch. I did this without cutting the wiring or even drilling the tractor by using the same type of connectors as the factory harness has and the angle is mounted with auto trim tape.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #20  
my 2001 NH TC33D came with no seat switch. YOu can drive it standing up if you wish. you can exit while the PTO is on, you can exit while the Cruise control is on.

New TC's include a seat switch.

I see no reason to go from having NO switch to HAVING a switch other than to CYA.

IMO feel free to bypass any safty features you dont want to use, but if an accident happens that might have been prevented with said safty device inplace, you get no sympathy from me, and dont expect to sue the manuafacuter.

NOTE: in NONE of the above options do i say either the manufacture is stupid for including them, nor that the operator is stupid for removing them.

In short i dont recoginize the manufactuers authority to tell me what i can and cant do with my machinery. I take full repsoniblity for my OWN actions. (shocking i know)

to address your specific issue, feel free to do whatever your comfortable with, in my case i would disable the switch. but a sack-o-weight accomplishes the same thing al-bit a bit more clumsyly.