PTO Generator and PTO shutoff

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #21  
I have four daughters, ages 16 down to 5. I also have a 3 year old son. Momma's treating us with another kid in a couple more months. I considered this when I bought my tractor. I don't view the safety features on a JD 3203 (I can't speak for their other models) as a limitation to what I can get accomplished with the machine. Rather, I see them as making the tractor more versatile in the context of allowing my children to tackle tasks I would otherwise only take on myself if the tractor didn't offer these features.

Without the safety features I'd probably be the only member of our family to operate our tractor routinely. With them I can confidently ask my kids to take part in some of the chores that require a tractor. Now, I understand that no amount of safety features will replace training and experience. It's nice to know though that when I'm if I'm away at work and my 14 year old daughter is out cutting the east 6 she has a back-up in case her thoughs wonder for a moment.

I will admit I've already cussed out the operators presence system a couple of times when I was trying to hop down and adjust the three point (straight blade was angled wrong) and found myself plopping down to keep the engine running. Yeah, that's kind of embarassing. But ultimately the peace of mind I get from the system being in place when the kids are in the drivers seat makes up for the blow to my ego when I uh, test the system myself.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #22  
Although I think Deere should have the operator presence over-ride on all their CUT's (why not?), I would not do any type of rewiring. This would void the warranty, I should think.
That leaves the use a a weight on the seat...but as I said in my first response, make absolutely sure there is no way the tractor can be moved if you do this!
The 790's range lever has three positions: Low-Neutral-High. When working the tractor as a stationary power supply, the range lever must be in neutral (allows the engine and PTO to run, but the drive gears are disconnected). If the 3203 has this feature, use it. If the 3203 only has High-Low ranges there is a possibility the tractor could move when used as a stationary unit.

Matthew, you won't miss using the steering brakes as a residential owner. The only time I even thought about using mine is when plowing snow...the angle of the back blade can push the tractor to the side sometimes. One can use the steering brakes to compensate, but it's not really necessary

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #23  
On my JD as long as you are not sitting on the seat when you engage the PTO the PTO will run without the seat switch activated. If you are sitting in the seat when you engage the PTO it will stop the engine if you leave the seat with the PTO still running.
I've never tried the Kubota bx2230 to see how it works. It's used only for mowing and have never needed to run the pto as a stationary power unit.
I'm not a big fan of idiot switches but I will say this. On my old Ford 2000 (no op presence device on those tractors) more than once I was almost dragged backwards off the tractor by a low hanging limb while bush hogging.:eek: Fortunately I was able to reach the clutch pedal in time to stop before I got dragged into the pto shaft/bush hog each time but I could just have easily not reached the pedal in time. With this in mind I decided that I kind of like the operator presence switch on the JD. I'm sure you've all seen the warning symbol stickers on the pto shafts with the guy twisted around the shaft. That looks painful and I want nothing to do with it.:eek: And after watching the bush hog take down 4" diameter trees I don't like the thought of one of my arms or legs getting in the way of those blades.
I say that to say this, if you need to temporarily disable the seat switch to be able to run a generator or some other stationary pto device that is fine but I highly recommend reconnecting the switch when you are driving the tractor. The toggle switch idea sounds like the best way to go to me.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #24  
My 4010 has an underseat button that is supposed to allow the PTO to run with the seat up. It didn't; so I jumpered the appropriate pairs of wires. However, I find it most convenient to use a tension cord tied across the front of the back part of the seat to the ROPS. Then, I can jump onto the tractor and move it with the PTO running if I want to.

Ralph

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #25  
Sweats62 said:
I have four daughters, ages 16 down to 5. I also have a 3 year old son. Momma's treating us with another kid in a couple more months. I considered this when I bought my tractor. I don't view the safety features on a JD 3203 (I can't speak for their other models) as a limitation to what I can get accomplished with the machine. Rather, I see them as making the tractor more versatile in the context of allowing my children to tackle tasks I would otherwise only take on myself if the tractor didn't offer these features.

Without the safety features I'd probably be the only member of our family to operate our tractor routinely. With them I can confidently ask my kids to take part in some of the chores that require a tractor. Now, I understand that no amount of safety features will replace training and experience. It's nice to know though that when I'm if I'm away at work and my 14 year old daughter is out cutting the east 6 she has a back-up in case her thoughs wonder for a moment.

I will admit I've already cussed out the operators presence system a couple of times when I was trying to hop down and adjust the three point (straight blade was angled wrong) and found myself plopping down to keep the engine running. Yeah, that's kind of embarassing. But ultimately the peace of mind I get from the system being in place when the kids are in the drivers seat makes up for the blow to my ego when I uh, test the system myself.

Point on kids and tractor safety is well taken. Used to be an 8-10 year old was expected to operate a tractor and by the time they were 14, they may have had thousands of hours of experience. Few adults on this site have that much experience these days!

I (like schmism) don't have a factory butt detector and I am glad. When cutting, I am constantly standing up to look for objects to avoid. The expectation that the equipment is 100% safe, just isn't there with me. It can harm me, and those around me, so I must be ever aware. The most important safety system is what sits in the seat and holds the wheel.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #26  
I wish I could remember......but I can't right now.....there have been several internet sites that I have viewed, from state to state, that list OSHA reports or something similar, regarding fatality investigations, year to year. Reading up on the deaths from PTO driveshaft entanglement, or roll-over deaths, or from PTO powered equipment is very, very sobering. Most of these accidents were avoidable. Any equipment, and here we're talkin' tractors, is inherently dangerous. Safetys help reduce the likelyhood of an accident but there will always be a risk. Use your own judgement.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #27  
I think I've read all the posts here, but excuse me if I'm repeating anything. On my Kubota you just flip the seat ahead to allow the PTO to run,but If you don't have this feature and heaving a weight onto the seat seems too awkward you might be able to get a short piece of light chain (Like dog leash chain) and fasten one end to the back of your seat back with a self tapping screw.Put a clip on the other end and find somewhere to clip it on the tractor. Make the chain just the right length that you sit in the seat then reach around and clip it on and it holds the seat down when you get up. This way you could leave all the other safeties intact for normal operation. Just a thought.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #28  
Obviously the tractors designed so that you can not leave the seat with the PTO running were designed as limited use tractors and not intended to operate post hole diggers, chippers, cement mixers, pto backhoes, etc. Otherwise why would they have been designed this way? Putting a weight on the seat to defeat the switch to me seems much more dangerous than not having the switch. I can just see the weight falling as you jolt the machine from whatever you are doing with the PTO attachment and causing it to fall on the hydro pedal causing the tractor to lunge forward. As I said earlier, none of my Fords or New Hollands have had this feature. On the TN if the PTO is running and you get off the seat, an alarm does sound for a few seconds to remind you.

Andy

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #29  
"Obviously the tractors designed so that you can not leave the seat with the PTO running were designed as limited use tractors and not intended to operate post hole diggers, chippers, cement mixers, pto backhoes, etc."

I think it may have been a cost reduction thing...however, I do concur not being able to use the tractor as a stationary unit reduces the flexibility of the machine. I also think this was a mistake on Deere's part.
Prehaps Deere thinks the target market will only use the 3203 for mowing or cutting. They underestimate the owner/operators.
I'd be returning this tractor to the Dealer and tell them to make it a tractor, or replace it (or return my money). That might get Deere's attention...

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff
Well, as the manuel says, the 3203 PTO does not operate without the seat switch depressed. I tried starting the tractor with various combinations of the seat up, down, weighted, not weighted and the engine died every time I pull the PTO switch on. So I'll just have to weight it or tie it down somehow.

And there is a neutral position for the range control, tractor won't start unless it is in neutral.

I'm going to call my dealer just to confirm and to see what they suggest as a solution, if anything.

Thanks for your replies.

Matt