Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: PTO Generator and PTO shutoff

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_H
    Well, as the manuel says, the 3203 PTO does not operate without the seat switch depressed. I tried starting the tractor with various combinations of the seat up, down, weighted, not weighted and the engine died every time I pull the PTO switch on. So I'll just have to weight it or tie it down somehow.

And there is a neutral position for the range control, tractor won't start unless it is in neutral.

I'm going to call my dealer just to confirm and to see what they suggest as a solution, if anything.

Thanks for your replies.

Matt

I only have one

"lawyers!"

jb

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud
    I only have one

"lawyers!"

jb

Probably not in this case (since other Deeres, including my 790, can run the PTO wihout an operator on the seat.

I'd guess in this case it'd $$$$ (cheaper switch, less wiring).
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Yanmar 2220D

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMA
    ... Why would John Deere design a tractor that way?
    Because the company lawyers told them to do it that way to reduce the potential for product liability litigation.
    Obviously the engineers who did it are not tractor users.
    It doesn't matter whether they are or not. The lawyers have the ear of management and everyone is running scared (and have been for years) over the insane "It wasn't my fault, sue the deepest pocket you can find" attitude rampant in the US.

I'd keep bugging John Deere until they fixed this obvious design flaw.
    It's not a design flaw. It's a design "feature" intentionally added, at additional expense, to reduce potential litigation and outrageous product liability awards. It should be fairly easy to wire around the safety switch, and I suspect that the company (off the record) expects you to do so. But, if you do, that action becomes a prime defense argument in any ensuing litigation.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Tractor
    jd 1070

Locate the seat safety switch under the seat when the seat is flipped all the way forward. Pull up on it. Now you should be able to run without sitting in the seat. If you are really skilled, you can engage the PTO, get up, turn around, pull up the seat and pull the switch before the engine dies. No need to worry about anything other than be sure the transmission is in neutral with brakes on and locked. Come on folks, morons should not own a tractor. Keep in mind that machines want to kill you. Treat them with respect and no shortcuts. My PTO alternator is 220 single and 440 4 phase, so there's an extra bonus for getting electrocuted if you are not wary of what goes where. Its the Darwin factor.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234