PTO Generator and PTO shutoff

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #31  
Matthew_H said:
Well, as the manuel says, the 3203 PTO does not operate without the seat switch depressed. I tried starting the tractor with various combinations of the seat up, down, weighted, not weighted and the engine died every time I pull the PTO switch on. So I'll just have to weight it or tie it down somehow.

And there is a neutral position for the range control, tractor won't start unless it is in neutral.

I'm going to call my dealer just to confirm and to see what they suggest as a solution, if anything.

Thanks for your replies.

Matt

I only have one

"lawyers!"

jb

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #32  
john_bud said:
I only have one

"lawyers!"

jb

Probably not in this case (since other Deeres, including my 790, can run the PTO wihout an operator on the seat.

I'd guess in this case it'd $$$$ (cheaper switch, less wiring).

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #33  
AndyMA said:
... Why would John Deere design a tractor that way?
Because the company lawyers told them to do it that way to reduce the potential for product liability litigation.
Obviously the engineers who did it are not tractor users.
It doesn't matter whether they are or not. The lawyers have the ear of management and everyone is running scared (and have been for years) over the insane "It wasn't my fault, sue the deepest pocket you can find" attitude rampant in the US.

I'd keep bugging John Deere until they fixed this obvious design flaw.

It's not a design flaw. It's a design "feature" intentionally added, at additional expense, to reduce potential litigation and outrageous product liability awards. It should be fairly easy to wire around the safety switch, and I suspect that the company (off the record) expects you to do so. But, if you do, that action becomes a prime defense argument in any ensuing litigation.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #34  
Locate the seat safety switch under the seat when the seat is flipped all the way forward. Pull up on it. Now you should be able to run without sitting in the seat. If you are really skilled, you can engage the PTO, get up, turn around, pull up the seat and pull the switch before the engine dies. No need to worry about anything other than be sure the transmission is in neutral with brakes on and locked. Come on folks, morons should not own a tractor. Keep in mind that machines want to kill you. Treat them with respect and no shortcuts. My PTO alternator is 220 single and 440 4 phase, so there's an extra bonus for getting electrocuted if you are not wary of what goes where. Its the Darwin factor.