PTO Generator and PTO shutoff

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #1  

Matthew_H

Tractor
JD 3203
So, how do you keep the PTO running without sitting on the tractor the whole time you want to run the PTO generator? My tractor has a PTO cutoff switch connected to the seat. Is it as simple as putting some dead weight, other than myself, in the seat and leaving it? Or a bungee cord?

Matt

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #2  
On most, if you engage the PTO without being seated, it will engage and run. If you are seated, and engage, it will stop when you get up, but if you start it from the ground, the seat does not have to be occupied. At least, that is how mine works.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #3  
Since you have a Deere, I went to the Deere website and read the 3203 manual section on using the PTO.

It read:
Using Rear PTO
NOTE: The Rear PTO is only operational with the operator on the seat.

Engaging Rear PTO
1. Sit on operator's seat.

2. Stop machine motion, remove foot from forward and reverse travel pedals, and push the PTO knob to the disengaged/off position:

NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO knob is pulled to the engaged/on position. If the operator leaves the seat with the engine running and the PTO engaged, the safety interlock system will stop the engine.

3. Reduce throttle setting to 1500 rpm.

4. Pull the PTO knob to the engaged/on position to engage the rear PTO.

5. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for implement used.

NOTE: The PTO icon on the tachometer indicates the correct engine rpm for a standard 540 PTO .

Per the manual, it appears there is no switch or procedure that permits running the PTO without an operator on the seat.
The 790 (my tractor) does have instructions to operate the PTO without a rider.

So, I'd call your dealer and find out what he says... I have read (on TBN of folks putting a weight such as a sand bag on the seat. I'm going to guess the operator presence switch (under the seat) doesn't have an over ride setting as my 790's does.
The important thing is to have your transmission in neutral. I hope your range selector has such a position. You'll be starting and stopping the tractor on occasions (refueling as an example). You definitely don't want the machine rolling as soon as you start!

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #4  
My 1070 too has that switch under the seat to overide the safety. But I have an x744 on the way with a rear pto. Deere tech tells me it can operate without being on the seat, 2 Deere dealers say no it can't. and one of them said they also spoke with deere tech support. They (tech support) even mailed me a page out of their PTO generator operators manual with the rear PTO start up procedure for the x series. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed until my baby...tractor arrives. Worst case, I'll be in 'the same boat'. At that point I'll have to stare at the wiring for a while...And figure why nobody could give me a straight answer. Not to go off on a tangent, but the Kubota dealer showed up the other day with a R420S demo and couldn't even figure out how to pop the hood open! Nuther thing, one of the tractors sole purposes was to run stationary equipment with belts. What ever happened to the spirit of the tractor? Maybe too many accidents, entanglements in driveshafts etc.....

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #5  
NOTE: The Rear PTO is only operational with the operator on the seat.

Roy found the answer. The seat switch interlock is for your safety. The switch can be jumped out but then you lose the safety feature. A spinning PTO can grab loose clothing or practically anything that gets near it. Every tractor is different. Mine does not have any seat switch interlock. It seems your only choices to run your PTO generator are to use the bag of sand or some form of weight on the seat or bypass the seat switch.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #6  
Which I repeat is rediculous. We shouldn't have to do that. People should not be compelled to over-ride a safety to run a piece of equipment that was invented to work. The manufactuers are trying to save us all from ourselves. They figure that the statistics show that once you move up beyond a certain size of tractor, the likelyhood of an inexperienced homeowner or amateur owning one dropps down enough that they can allow us to use the machine for all of its potential. Just rantin'.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #7  
My new Kubota L2800DT has a 3 position switch under the seat:

1) With weight (operator) on the seat it allows the tractor to operate like you would expect.

2) With no weight on the seat, the motor will cut out with the PTO engaged.

3) The seat can be flipped forward (ensuring no operator is in place) and the PTO can be run in a stationary mode. I think the motor would cut out if the tranny was moved from Neutral in this mode.

This seems to make sense to me. And no need to jump out a switch which could involve an injury (and lawsuit) later.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #8  
I can't speak for all the NH Boomers, but the 33D runs the PTO without the driver in the seat. The unit has to be in nuetral and the breaks locked for the engine to keep running.

I can think of several implements (chipper, log splitter, generator) that require the operator to be off the tractor. Doesn't JD sell implements like this?:confused:

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #9  
LarryD said:
...I can think of several implements (chipper, log splitter, generator) that require the operator to be off the tractor. Doesn't JD sell implements like this?:confused:

There have been posts from two JD owners that have specifically said that on their models (4410 & 790) there is a provision for engaging the PTO while not seated. I just looked, and all the 3x20 series CUT's also allow you to run the PTO without being seated. The 3203 seems to be the only one in the line with this unfortunate arrangement.

/ PTO Generator and PTO shutoff #10  
unit40 said:
Which I repeat is rediculous. We shouldn't have to do that. People should not be compelled to over-ride a safety to run a piece of equipment that was invented to work. The manufactuers are trying to save us all from ourselves. They figure that the statistics show that once you move up beyond a certain size of tractor, the likelyhood of an inexperienced homeowner or amateur owning one dropps down enough that they can allow us to use the machine for all of its potential. Just rantin'.

No, the manufacturer's are trying to save themselves from your lawyer.