I Miss My Tractor

/ I Miss My Tractor #31  
von very strange weather for up here this time of year. did some stuff in garage and picked up some branches from that#$%^@# willow tree, then my youngest daughter and my 8 mo. old grandson showed up from rochester. have not seen him since christmas, so i spent the rest of the day on my knees playing with him. also took him for a walk in his stroller, and sat with him on the kubota. he likes the orange color. all in all a FINE WAY TO SPEND A SUNDAY

/ I Miss My Tractor #32  
I hear you loud and clear on those willow trees /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif and I plan on cutting most of my willows down this year.

/ I Miss My Tractor #33  
thomas: this willow is at least 4 ft at the base, not sure as i want to take it down myself, to close to the house and one mistake/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif not sure i want to pay the price to have it taken down, so gues i will live with it for a bit, besides give me something to complain about till the weather gets nice (about 3 months yet) dirtiest darn tree i ever saw./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif ranks right up there with the black walnut trees scattered over the yard.

/ I Miss My Tractor #34  
I hope your willow isn't a weeping type. They extend roots as far as 200' for water witch means the play hob with sewer lines. JIM

/ I Miss My Tractor #35  
It has been very warm in southern MD. About 70-75 today. No air conditioning in the manufacturing bldg. It was HOT in there. Never ever thought I'd care about AC in January.

I got some seat time over the weekend draggin out logs (old pine that was left when they cleared the lot 7 yrs ago), sawing in pieces to burn. Great time for a fire, still damp enough to keep the spreading hazard down, but dry enough that I didn't create a god awful mess around the lawn.

Last weekend I had 4" of snow to plow, had to hurry though, it was melting almost as fast as I was plowing. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Nick

/ I Miss My Tractor #36  
Once the winter weather gets back on track, it'll be time to haul out the sap buckets and get down to business. Sap tank is loaded on the tractor and ready to go.

Russ

/ I Miss My Tractor #37  
Hey Rob you should get some tractor time the next few days. I don't think this storm is going to miss you is it?

/ I Miss My Tractor
<font color=blue>I don't think this storm is going to miss you is it?
</font color=blue>

No Richard, in fact we're right in the middle of it now. It's 32 and raining pretty hard. That's on top of about 4 inches of snow yesterday. Power flickered a bit this morning while shaving. After scraping 1/2 inch of ice off the windshield I drove to work. Had to take two detours due to lines down but the roads themselves weren't too bad. More water than ice. A lot of storm sewers must be plugged from the snow. Got to work and the backup generators are running, so not sure what that's all about. It's supposed to continue with the rain/freezing rain all day and into tonight.

So unless more of this turns to snow, there will still not be much tractoring as a result. I am supposed to meet the electric company out at the property to site the transformer and temporary service. I'm kind of glad I went out there last night and put some stakes in the ground. Should be plenty messy today /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I Miss My Tractor
How big a sap operation do you run Rus? I've always been fascinated with Maple Sugaring. As a kid I ran a whopping two bucket operation. Did my boiling on an old cast off woodburning stove outside. I think my mom finally took pity on me and we did the final cooking in the kitchen. If we ever talk Muhammad into a line of TBN branded merchandise I'll vote for TBN Maple Syrup to go along with the TBN coffee, hats, mugs and Chalkley Cups /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I Miss My Tractor #40  
Rob,
We had no less than 6 power outages this morning. We thought there was lightning, but it was transformers blowing up! My wife went to get the paper this morning and a tree across the street started dumping branches. As we were leaving for work, the wind started picking up you could hear many branches falling all over the neighborhood. The entire west end is a mess of downed branches. I feel sorry for the people with tornado damaged trees. They are going to have another mess, as the ice will bring down the rest of the damaged branches. The temp is supposed to drop this afternoon, so the drive home will be a sloppy mess.

On the bright side, I got to plow my driveway yesterday and get some seat time. It handled the wet heavy snow very well.

Are you getting a transformer near the road and buried service, or pole mounted transformer nearer the house?