I Miss My Tractor

/ I Miss My Tractor
I saw a lot of the flashes this morning also. Apparently the "normal" flash is a fuse. When a transformer goes it is pretty spectacular with lots of blue light. A guy saw one go this morning. We're probably only about 75% here at work.

For our electric we'll have above ground to go across the street (boring is VERY expensive), then underground to a ground level transformer and underground as well to the house. The transformer needs to be within 200 feet of the house the the street is too far away for a pole mount unit.

I got a call from the electric compay cancelling our appointment for today. I'll just have to believe the guy when he says he thinks he'll be busy with other things /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ I Miss My Tractor #42  
I don't know about the TBN Maple Syrup and TBN coffee. Do you think diesel flavored syrup and coffee would a hit? [image]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/image]

/ I Miss My Tractor #43  
We have the same situation. Power will be run overhead across the highway to a pole on our side. Then 2 choices:

1. Three NIPSCO poles back to near the house site with a transformer on the last pole, then underground to the house. Last check $7200.00.

2. Transformer on the ground near the road and underground all the way back to the house site(about 300 - 400 feet. Last check $7000.00

NIPSCO wants us to do choice 1. Our electrician will want to do choice 2. Whoever wins gets the most money in their pocket.

However, NIPSCO will spread out the payments for several years. Say you pay them $200.00 a month for 3 years. You can use up to $200.00 worth of electricity each month for free. So that seems the way to go for us.

/ I Miss My Tractor
<font color=blue>Do you think diesel flavored syrup and coffee would be a hit? </font color=blue>

As little tractor time as I'm getting lately, that may be just the thing I need /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I'm thinking of having my shoes resoled with R-1 tread as well /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I Miss My Tractor #45  
Rob,

Your electric run sounds very familiar to the situation I had a year ago building a house. Engineer said that they could not bore under the street unless we delt with the road commissioner, got the signoffs, and paid the extra $1000 or so to cover the expense of boring under the road. Hopefully you'll get a break like I did. Depite what the engineer said when the installers actually did the cable run they decide to bore under the street because it "was easier and faster" then having to bring out equipment to set poles on either side of the street. So now its all underground and I did not have to pay anything extra. Actually the bill I received was quite a few hundred less then the engineer quoted! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif That was one of the few things that was under budget.

/ I Miss My Tractor #46  
Would the nearest TBNer's w/snow to remove ask Rob to come over and help,for this gentleman needs some seat time really bad /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif resole your shoes w/R1 tead..becoming addicted to coffee..no seat time lately..just sitting on the tractor..yikes

Rob..call 1-900-TBN-Bird...I believe its the TBN hot line when in need. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ I Miss My Tractor
Hey thanks Thomas, but I sense relief is not too far away. That groundhog is going to pop out tomorrow and let us know that we'll all be bush-hogging soon /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Just in case though, I do plan on hitting an auction or two tomorrow. Maybe I can pick up a cheap bit of tractor paraphenilia to carry me over.

I also remembered (finally) to bring in my John Deere coffee mug so here I sit sipping coffee thinking <font color=green>green</font color=green> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I Miss My Tractor
<font color=blue>That was one of the few things that was under budget</font color=blue>

Don't scare me like that /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Actually, we've already planned for some overage throughout. I met once with the electric company engineer and it sounds like our best solution is a single pole on our side of the road to get the power from the other side. It'll be at the far end of the property so it shouldn't show too badly. We were a bit miffed from the beginning that the developer didn't put the main power lines underground but it's too late to deal with that now. They ran the phone service underground and it's already got pedestals on either side of the road. They did that before paving though and just used a cable plough right through the road! I was impressed as the base for the road had been there for well over a year /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ I Miss My Tractor #49  
Rob;

Hear you need seat time. I've just had my share and your welcome to come up and lend a hand.

Monday I went out to the lake to go x-country skiing and pick up several logs that could be converted into lumber for a project I had in mind.
Got there and spent 2 1/2 days clearing the road in and the turnaround area for the truck/camper and trailer. Spent another 1/2 day digging a drainage trench to keep the turnaround area dry and then finished the day off by clearing a path to the logs which I wanted. All this with a little B7100 with ladder chains with v bars and no power steering took its toll on my body. Everything ached and pained when I went to sleep the third night.
Woke up the next morning to find heavy snow falling and it contiued for the rest of the day for 10 inches worth. Spent another half day clearing the road so I could get out and went home in disgust. Lots of time spent working but nothing accomplished.
Still have to go back to get the logs but there is another storm on the way.

Egon

/ I Miss My Tractor
Egon, thanks for the offer. Let's see now... to maximize my seat time I should DRIVE my tractor to your place. That should take several weeks /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif So by the time I get there my season will be in full swing down here /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Something tells me my better half isn't going to buy this anyway (unless I bring both kids, cabin fever and all, with me). I guess I'll just wait it out here /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif