WORKING LIME

/ WORKING LIME #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I'm going to be working lime into food plots this spring and summer. I'll be primarily using disc harrow after lime has been spread by outside contractor.
We will be using Aglime for the application. How does lime affect the tractor and attachments?? I know fertilizer promotes rust quickly, but not sure about lime. Does everything have to be carefully powerwashed or should the lime be fairly inert??

/ WORKING LIME #2  
I think it's fairly inert. The rock quarries don't seem to take any special care of their equipment and it lasts a long time. I would wash the equipment when the project is finished but that is all.

/ WORKING LIME #3  
It will allow your equipment to rust much faster than normal.

careful powerwash is needed

jb

/ WORKING LIME
Assuming powerwash is needed, can I damage anything during the process so long as I do it like I would a car finish??

/ WORKING LIME #5  
You'll only be putting a ton or two max per acre. This isn't very much at all and once spread, is almost invisable. It's just a light dusting of the land to change the PH and nutralize the acid levels.

Your disks will be fine and you won't know the lime is even there after you're done.

Eddie

/ WORKING LIME #6  
Only in the sense that lime is very abrasive would it tend to "cause rust". Lime is a base (as opposed to acid) However, it is VERY mild, explaining why it takes tons to make much of a change in soil ph. Soil around here needs a lot of lime. We have an abundance of limestone quarries. Therefor, it's relatively inexpensive to apply, and I've used hundreds of tons over the years. I've got equipment that's been exposed to ag lime for 35 or 40 years without any obvious ill effects.

/ WORKING LIME
Good to know. No particular urgency for clean-up

/ WORKING LIME #9  
I agree with redlevel.

Don't pressure wash ANY tractor or implement. I'd only use them MAYBE on something very hard like rocks or concrete. Pressurized water can get past seals and into crevices not designed to have water there.

Ralph