Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #1  

Barneyhunts

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 Kubota B7800, Kubota BX2200
I plan on plowing with a Kubota B7800 30 Hp 4WD compact tractor. The rear wheels are loaded and it is equipped with a front end loader. It has a hydrostatic transmission. The manual says the largest plow to pull is a 2 bottom 12" plow. Does anyone have experience plowing with a compact tractor? I would appreciate experience or tips, or just thoughts on using this machine. I plan to do only several acres - less than ten, and I have time to do it.
Thanks!

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN!! A lot depends on what type of soil you have. I would probably not consider going above a 1x14" though. What region are you in and what is your soil type?

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor
Chuck,
Thanks for the quick reply. I live in northeastern Pennsylvania. The soil is rocky , but not hardpan or clay like. I've never farmed so I appreciate the input. I have gardened, though.

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #4  
I am using a 45 hp tractor to pull a 2 bottom 12" plow but the soil is thick, heavy sod that hasn't been turned over in 20 plus years. I think I could pull a 2 bottom 16 and get away with it. It also depends a lot on the tires you have on your tractor, with R1's you might be ok, turfs or 4's you could have a problem, depending on the soil.

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor
Thanks Oleozz,
The tires on my tractor are "Ag" type. The type of plow I'm thinking of buying is the Howse 12" carried by Northern Tool or something like a low profile type made by leinbach.

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #6  
You should be able to pull a 1x14 with ease. I have a 26 hp machine tires not loaded and no loader and can pull a 1x14 in excess of 4mph, actually in previously plowed ground I can do 5mph. I tried 2x14 once but it was to much in sod, I could pull it but it was working the machine to hard.

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #7  
Question: I see plows described as 2 bottom 14", or 3 bottom 16" . . . etc . . . what is the inch measurement . . .? the width of the furrow? the height of the moldboad?

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #8  
Just a few thoughts...loose the loader when plowing. The stress put on the tractor bouncing around on rough furrows. and when hooking a rock could push the front axle or torque tube to failure. Hydro transmissions are not the best suited for this kind of work. I would keep the plow to a 1 bot 14" at the most. That does refer to the sizs of the furrow the plow makes (the plow share size and beam spacing. Find a speed that turns the furrow over completley. If the sod stands up go faster, if it throws pieces of sod slow down. 3pt plows can be tricky to set up if you lack experience. A 1 bot plow is a LOT more forgiving in this respect. Time lost with a smaller plow will quickly be recouped in secondary tillage by having a quality plow job. There was a reason that the old farmer did the plowing and the young sons did the disking and harrowing. 30 hp is plenty of power. If it feels like the tractor is bogging down, check the plow settings. Set wrong the plow can need almost twice as much hp th pull. Good luck Mike

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #9  
I have never plowed, but would think you should be fine. I have a Farmall-A. A lot of Farmall A's and B's pulled lots of plows; they are only 22hp machines, 2wd. If anything, you might want some wheel weights to get traction, but you should be able to plow...

/ Plowing with a 30 Hp Compact tractor #10  
I have a Lienbach Line, 12 inch two bottom plow that I pulled last year with a 33hp with the same setup you mentioned. It did well but for the most part I could not go out of range 1 without losing some power on demand. I pulled it through various types of ground and success was ok, if you will. One thing you never mentioned was if you have coulters on the unit. If not, you will definitely experience false flips(fall backs)....especially in sod ground or ground that has been allowed to grow and establish a root system from the ground cover. The coulters will cut through this and allow it to flip nicely. Without coulters will allow a lot of the furrows to fall back to where they were.....real pain.

I think you can get the job done. If you dont have coulters I highly recommend you do so. They will also keep you from getting off the tractor every 30 feet and pulling off roots and buildup from the sheers.