Use Camels To Clear Cactus?

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #1  

ByteMe

Tractor
Kubota L48
I have seen some camels in pastures from the highway and noticed that I didn't see any cactus in the pastures. I have tons of cactus and was wondering if the camels could be used to eat it?

Would be a very easy way to get rid of it if it worked.

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #2  
Just get a pear burner and some cows....the cactus will be gone in no time. I think they still sell the old kerosene powered versions across the border.

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #3  
Byteme;

I have a friend of mine that has a ranch and he owns 5 camels and they eat all the cactus and thorny stuff they want to eat. He say's they have a tough rubbery like mouth that can tolerate the thorns. They do a great job on clearing cactus. It's wild when your setting in your bow stand and they come walking by,everything takes off running. These are behind a 8ft game fence and they will jump the interior barbwire fences.

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #4  
You can ride those things. That's a new definition of seat time.:)

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #5  
Hmm... you need something that preferentially eats cactus. I don't know if camels do this, maybe somebody does. The point is that unless something eats cactus preferentially you destroy your good grasses etc. until all that is left is cactus.

Given the size of your place, other options are not likely to be economically viable..... burning thorns works with cattle, but covering your acreage is not going to work. There are herbacides that also work... but again, cost in $$ and labor likely prohibitive.

Talk to your county agent, see what he recommends after a visit to your place. Pear is a constant problem in Texas.

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #6  
If the camels don't dig up the root then the prickley pear will just come right back.

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #7  
How about a goat? It seems they'll eat anything that won't eat them.

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #8  
Single hump or double? :)

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #9  
Cactus hates lime.. I limed my pastures a couple times.. used to have lots of cactus.. got -0- now.

I did a few 'spot' treatments and dug up the big patches.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Use Camels To Clear Cactus? #10  
Umm... well... Texas is filled with limestone... and cactus loves to sit on it...so, must be a different kind of cactus in Fla.

Goats won't eat cactus... unless spines are burned off... and then you better burn spines in entire pasture because they will get used to eating the cactus and go for one that has spines. Then, the spine injury site gets infected... flies lay eggs.... trust me, not a pretty sight.