Skid Steer vs Tractor

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #1  

Kendall69

Banned
Anyone else debate a skid steer over a tractor. I'm on the fence. I need more lift, so I have been looking at a bigger new tractor, and thought I would think outside the box for a while.

The new tractor with backhoe is coming in at around 40K with cab and air, a good size Cat track skid steer is about 50K with cab air etc.

With the tractor, 3PH, comfort etc.

Skid steer, more lift, WAY more attachments run off the hydraulics, tracks, better traction mud and sand, etc. Replacing tracks run about 8k after 2k hours.

I'm not sold 100% on either one as of today.

10k is still 10k?

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #2  
Depends, what do you plan to use it for?

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #3  
A tracked loader seems to be in a whole different class. The wheel skid steer loaders seem like a better comparison. I was initially considering one until I determined I wanted to do some things that just aren't practical with a skidsteer (mowing fields, for starters! And yes I know about front-mounted mowers - my wife's cousin who wanted to sell me his lightly used skidsteer had a laughing fit when I mentioned mowing with it!). Whether it's a good option really depends on your uses.

Basically, if all you're doing is landscaping or excavation, the skidsteer is probably at least a reasonable option and may well be better. IF you want to do any ag type fieldwork, only the tractor will work.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #4  
I was on the same fence in 2001, then I bought a John Deere 4500 Compact Tractor, it did MOST of the things I wanted (plow/disk/bush-hog/etc) and figured if I got into a situation where I needed a skid loader, I could rent one for a day or week. I used the tractor and was able to make some additional $ from it (owned a landscape service at that time) because I had bought more attachments for it.

Don't know if that helped but its what I did and I feel for ya!!

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor
Yes, if you takeout the Ag work, and grass/field mowing, both of which I don't need it for ( I'm in the Desert), and which the tractor is ideal for.
Mostly nursery stuff, clearing the land, laying water pipe ( trenching), fork lifting, drive leveling, post holes, grappler. I'm doing all this now with the tractor, so I guess it's almost a coin toss at this point.
I really want the most lifting power I can get on the smallest piece of equipment.
Tracks are needed here for the sand ( beach sand) which is thick and soft.

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #6  
How much lift are you looking for?
I found one that has 3,600 pounds R.O.C.
And do the tracks have to be permanent or can they be mounted over tires?
Jim:)

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #7  
I do part time work (landscaping, light construction) and recently purchased a Kubota L39 for the backhoe and versatility of the tractor versus a mini-ex, being a sole proprietor (one man show!). I also have an ASV RC50, which is a tracked skid loader (same track system used by CAT). For loader work, the RC50 runs circles around the L39 as far as speed and manueverability. I plan to keep both as they each have their place. This weekend I did some work that was perfect for the L39 (tree removal, trenching, moving mulch, tree cleanup). The one "do-it-all" machine was the ticket versus hauling two machines to the job. For jobs just requiring the loader function, where speed, manueverability and working in tight quarters is required, the RC50 would get the nod. It's like motorcycles, one just isn't enough:D . The tracks really do add alot of traction in soft conditions but you have to be careful what surfaces you run them on. You may want to search the Heavy Equipment forum at Lawnsite.com for discussion on the CAT MTL you're interested in. I would say, if you don't really need the backhoe, then the track loader is the way to go for what you describe. You can get backhoe attachments for the MTL but they are pretty pricey (10K plus) and not necessarily that great (from what I've read). As far as "fun factor", I like operating a tractor more than the CTL/MTL. Good Luck!

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #8  
My neighbor has a new mid sized Tracked bobcat skidloader. Nice for digging , and loading dirt, etc. much handier than a tractor. It also has a cab and heat and air conditioning :) I think he paid about 40K. also it will go places wet and steep that a tractor will not. But if you are going to plow, bushhog, etc a tractor is better.
A very nice toy err tool.
Ben

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #9  
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the difference in ground speed. If you are moving around a large property, it seems to take forever on a (my) tracked loader.

John

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #10  
As mentioned with ground speed, tractors certainly have the advantage when doing large area coverage. Unless the you can't get your lift capacities met, I would build yourself what is essentially a hybrid on a tractor platform.

If it is tight quarters with a lot of back and forth type digging (residential landscaping) skid steer may be the way to go. I went for Hydrostat so I think I get the best of both worlds.

The key differentiator is the weight of a skid steer, they are heavy which makes them good for digging. I am going to add a tooth bar, so once again best of both worlds.

Get a tractor with with skid steer style fel mounts, and I see little advantage of going skid steer. I even went for the industrial style tires on my tractor.

Last thing I have to add is the extra front end hydraulic control. Maybe someone has some suggestions on that one?