LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE

/ LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I'm going to be clearing some trees for food plots. If I can get good purchase on a log end on centered in grapple and can lift it a foot or so, can I damage the loader by trying to skid it driving backward 20 or 30 feet to larger clearing to cut up for firewood. I have NH TC40DA with 17LA loader and ANBO 66" grapple.

/ LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE #2  
I drag trees backwards with my loader all the time.

/ LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE
Are you using chains or grapple??

/ LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE
That's a good sized tree and stump to lift. What is the capacity of your loader? I haven't used my new tractor yet and am trying to get some idea of what to expect. Lift capacity on my rig is 1500#. 17LA loader on NH 40DA

/ LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE #6  
I think the 17 la will do more than it should. I would grease it every day as the manual specs.I had a 16 la on my TC40d it was a strong loader for the size tractor.

/ LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE #7  
16LA=1,800-2,000 lbs.

17LA =1,760-1,955 lbs.

7309 =1,350-2,450 lbs.

This is according to NH's specs. Mine's the 7309 and it depends on what tractor it's mounted on. I figure I'm around 2000lbs. I've been pretty rough on it. I've also got a set of stone forks and a homemade set of forks.

/ LOG SKIDDING/GRAPPLE #8  
On the other end of the tractor, I once bent a lift arm on a B7100 while dragging a long log and turning hard. The log hung up and didn't turn while the tractor did.