Source for replacement stabilizer arms

/ Source for replacement stabilizer arms #1  

zuiko

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 990 4WD
I bent some eyebolts on my 3ph and JD wants 42 bucks a piece for new eyebolts. They are metric so just buying replacement eyebolts off the shelf is not an option.

I could replace the entire assembly with your basic 5/8" galvanized turnbuckle from the hardware store, but I'm not so sure it is strong enough and they'll cost me about 25 bucks a piece so I don't want to find out the hard way that they aren't.

Better would be to replace the assembly with something like the Speeco SA6260 you see everywhere: http://www.speeco.com/asp/individual_pic_view.asp?category=Stabilizer+Arms+&+Brackets. I bought a couple of those for 20 bucks a piece but they are too long. About 28" minimum length, when I need something more like 20" minimum length.

Any ideas on where I might find something that might work?

/ Source for replacement stabilizer arms #2  
Go to McMaster-Carr and put in "eyebolt" in the search window in the left column. They have all kinds of metric eyebolts available. I'm betting you can find one the correct size.

/ Source for replacement stabilizer arms #3  
zuiko said:
I bent some eyebolts on my 3ph and JD wants 42 bucks a piece for new eyebolts. They are metric so just buying replacement eyebolts off the shelf is not an option.
Similar problem here. I paid the BIG BUCKS, but now I wish I hadn't been in such a hurry. Definitely search the McMaster-Carr's and Grainger's of the world... perhaps you'll have better luck than I did... but pay very close attention to rated strength. Don't just get something that fits. Make sure it is forged, high-strength steel or you are just wasting your time AND your money.

Theo

/ Source for replacement stabilizer arms
swines said:
Go to McMaster-Carr and put in "eyebolt" in the search window in the left column. They have all kinds of metric eyebolts available. I'm betting you can find one the correct size.

Good suggestion, but both of those guys only sell 27mm long eyebolts in 16mm threads. I've found a lot of those short guys elsewhere (mostly from UK resellers) as well. 27mm is way too short. I need something that's at least 4x that long.

The only ideas I have right now are:

1) Cut the heads off my existing eyebolts and cut the heads off some regular 16mm hex bolts and weld them together.

2) Shorten up the speeco part so it will work. I could shorten the tube and the threaded rod portions to take 6" out of it, but I'm not sure if the threads on both would be fixable after that, and I hate to waste a $22 part on a failed attempt.

/ Source for replacement stabilizer arms #5  
How about a picture of the problem.

ron

/ Source for replacement stabilizer arms #7  
I believe that I would cut 8" out of the center of the speedco turnbuckles with a hacksaw and then weld them back together. If you don't weld, any welding shop could do that for you. There people on this fourm that would fix you up in a heartbeat, if you asked. You list your location as Minnesota, where at in MN? Is there not someone here that resides in MN that would help this guy? One other thing, Kubota uses on some of there models a sliding tube and bar arrangement that would be a lot stronger than the turnbuckle system. I changed out the turnbuckles on my BX23 to the tube and bar and find them to be much stronger and easier to adjust. I can't find the part # right now, but if your interested, will look it up for you.

ron

I could take apart the speeco part and see if I can cut a chunk out of the center and reweld. I expect the screws would have to be shortened as well (not sure... I haven't taken it apart yet) in order to shorten the overall minimum length any. Not sure I can do that without screwing up the threads. Maybe if I find the right kind of die and thread it on before I cut the screws I could fix the threads after the cut.

I would be interested in seeing the Kubota part if it isn't too much trouble to locate a drawing or something. It might give me some ideas on an alternate arrangement.

/ Source for replacement stabilizer arms #10  
I'd just check the length range you need, check the size of the pins on the ends, and then go to TSC or something and find a generic part to do the job.

I had turnbuckles on my Kubota B7100 and have the sliding/telescoping arrangement with locking pins on my Case. The latter are much nicer to work with.

Go look at some tractors on lots and you will probably see several different ways to stabilize the lift arms. Unless you're determined to have everything original, you will probably find something way cheaper that will work at least as well. Maybe you will be able to fabricate your own after you look at a few different styles.